Assistant in Environmental and Social Safeguards
Job advertisement : May 3, 2023
Publication cancellation date : May 17, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLARG
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Argentina Buenos Aires
Duration: 3 evidentiary months with the possibility of annual extension.
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
As a result of the efforts made in recent years in terms of implementing measures, policies and actions to reduce emissions caused by deforestation, the Argentine Republic through the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development of the Nation ( MayDS ) has requested results-based payments ( PPR ) to the REDD + Results Payments Pilot Program of the Green Climate Fund ( FVC ). The financing proposal “ Payments for REDD results + from Argentina for the 2014-2016 results period ” ( GCP / ARG / 029 / GCF ), hereinafter “ the project ”, prepared with the support of FAO as an accredited entity ( EA ) before the FVC, it was approved by Board 27 of the FVC, in November 2020.
The project seeks to address the direct causes of deforestation ( such as unsustainable livestock management and forest fires ), and specifically the underlying causes of deforestation and degradation, through strengthening economic and social opportunities ( and diversification of livelihoods ), strengthening control and surveillance capacities, and strengthening forest governance in general.
In particular, the activities are framed within the Project Management Unit and its objective is to coordinate all the necessary actions to ensure the effective implementation of the project’s environmental and social safeguards framework, in accordance with the guidelines and times established in the project document ( Financing proposal approved by the FVC ).
The Assistant in Environmental and Social Safeguards is under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Argentina, the Technical Officer Leader of the project and the Technical Advisor/to Principal; and under the direct supervision of the General Coordinator of the Project.
Field of specialization
The Assistant in Environmental and Social Safeguards aims to assist the Specialist in Environmental and Social Safeguards of the project in technical, operational coordination and supervision, administrative and financial of all the actions necessary for the effective implementation of environmental and social safeguards in compliance with the Environmental and Social Management Framework ( MGAS ) of the project, including issues related to indigenous peoples, in accordance with the policies and regulations established by FAO, the Green Climate Fund and the REDD + mechanism, having to attend the Project Management Unit and implementing teams on issues related to the approach, respect, compliance and monitoring of the same during the planning and implementation of project activities,to maximize benefits and minimize potential risks
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the Project Environmental and Social Safeguards Specialist in coordinating, supervising, and monitoring the activities and processes necessary for the effective implementation of environmental and social safeguards, in accordance with the provisions of the MGAS and project results framework;
- Support the preparation of the Annual Work Plans and Budget ( PTPA ) with regard to the specific activities and tasks to be developed to comply with the safeguards approach environmental and social of the project;
- Assist in the necessary tasks to ensure compliance with the project’s MGAS in accordance with the policies and regulations established by FAO, the Green Climate Fund and the REDD + mechanism; through the planning and implementation of the measures and actions necessary for the project to manage and effectively mitigate the environmental and social risks that may arise from its implementation;
- Collaborate in updating the documents required in the MGAS; among them, the Plan of Indigenous Peoples, Local Communities and Cultural Heritage, the Environmental and Social Analysis for Moderate Risk Projects and the Environmental and Social Commitment Plan;
- Collaborate with/as Project Gender Experts to ensure the integration of the gender perspective and considerations related to indigenous peoples as well as all social and environmental aspects at all stages ( planning, execution and monitoring ) of the project plans and interventions carried out in the territory;
- Assist the Specialist in Environmental and Social Safeguards in coordination with the Expert in Monitoring and Follow-up, in close articulation with the other areas of project coordination and with the support of the technical team, protocols and procedures for monitoring, evaluation and reporting of management/activities in terms of compliance with the environmental and social safeguards of the project in the territory; with emphasis on monitoring the PGAs prepared for each intervention within the framework of the project.
- Assist the National Directorate for Climate Change, in coordination with the Coordinator of Activity D.2.4 of the Project, in the process of updating and operational improvements of the National Safeguards Approach REDD + as necessary, collaborate in the adjustment of the design, identification of key partners, generation of cooperations and generation of technical inputs and operation of the SIS-AR as well as the preparation of the REDD + safeguards information summary;
- Prepare the terms of reference and / or Letters Agreement for the development of technical studies and consulting services as appropriate and in accordance with the activities planned for the correct implementation of safeguards; monitor, monitor and supervise these and verify that the delivery of the products or services occurs at the stipulated times, with the characteristics and agreed quality;
- Provide technical inputs during the preparation of the bidding processes, acquisitions and contracts in the framework of the execution of project activities in order to ensure compliance with the necessary environmental and social safeguards, in close coordination with the overall coordination of the project, the coordination of finances and acquisitions of the UGP and the FAO operations expert;
- Ensure that project beneficiaries have access to the claims care mechanism efficiently and appropriately and that resolutions to the concerns expressed by them are given within the times and procedures indicated in the MGAS;
- Participate and assist in the preparation of strategic and operational documents, on social, environmental, indigenous peoples and gender considerations, as well as in the progress reports of the project, especially with regard to compliance with environmental and social safeguards in the framework of the activities implemented in the project;
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- University degree in Social Sciences ( Law, Sociology, Anthropology, related areas ) and / or environmental
- At least 3 years of experience in designing or implementing environmental and social management frameworks / safeguards in forest and / or climate policies
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in REDD + or in the forestry sector in Argentina.
- At least 3 years of work experience with multisectoral actors in Argentina, at the national and sub-national levels, including rural and / or indigenous communities in the development of methodologies for social participation and/or community.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish ( level C ) and intermediate knowledge of English ( level B ).
- Argentine nationality
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Extensive and relevant to the experience, teamwork and establishing working relationships with national government institutions, local governments and other organizations.
- Working capacity for timely achievement of goals.
- Flexibility to carry out field missions
- Excellent communication and writing skills to prepare concept reports and technical reports
- Desirable, postgraduate studies ( Magister or PhD ) in areas of competence of the position.
- Desirable, relevant experience in large-scale or international cooperation projects
- Desirable, knowledge of gender and intercultural approaches.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.