Professional digital image processing structuring
Job advertisement : May 3, 2023
Publication cancellation date : May 17, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO COLOMBIA
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Colombia-Bogota
Duration: 3 months trial period, renewable
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO is the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, leading the international effort for a world free of hunger and malnutrition in which food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all its inhabitants, especially the poorest, economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. We work to contribute to the fulfillment of Agenda 2030 and its global goals by promoting sustainable, inclusive and resilient food systems to achieve production, nutrition, an environment and a better life.
The vacancy is located in Bogotá with trips to the project’s areas of action. The position belongs to the area of Natural Resources and Governance.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Colombia, the Program Officer, technical supervision of the senior specialist in natural resources and governance and direct supervision of the national project coordinator.
Field of specialization
The professional digital image processing structuring is responsible for leading digital image processing for forest management, complying with FAO standards.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of activities 1.1 “ Strengthening of existing national forest monitoring of early warning reports in deforestation areas ” and 1.3 “ Support the application of rural environmental cadastres as a measure to monitor deforestation at the farm level “ defined within the framework of the product “ Strengthening of national and local capacities for monitoring and control ” of the project.
- Work in coordination with the IDEAM Ecosystem and Environmental Information Branch or who from this unit is delegated by IDEAM.
- Generate a detailed work plan and schedule of activities that must be established in agreement with the leader of Digital Image Processing for Deforestation and Degradation ( D&D ) from SMByC and the project coordinator, for the purpose to be developed.
- Perform digital pre-processing of assigned scenes, regarding the application of procedures for cloud masking and other atmospheric conditions.
- Collect the necessary information for the elaboration of the metadata corresponding to the products generated, in accordance with the Standards established by IDEAM.
- Support the standardization process and organization of the data used as input ( images ) and generated ( thematic layers ) of the SMByC, for disposal on servers in accordance with IDEAM standards.
- Provide the final information generated in the formats defined for this purpose.
- Make periodic backup copies of the information according to the specifications defined by the project coordinator.
- Ensure the integrity and security of the information manipulated in the exercise of its activities.
- Generate and produce the necessary alerts when the processes or storage structure are in critical stages.
- Support the processes of officialization of the information generated by the Forest and Carbon Monitoring System ( SMByC ) under the guidelines of the IDEAM SIA group and the project coordinator.
- Prepare the cartographic information and reports necessary to respond promptly to requests for information under the SMByC, including periodic monitoring reports and early alerts.
- Generate a proposal for the organization and filtering of the cartographic information contained in servers to avoid duplication of information.
- Deliver monthly reports on the progress of the contract, as well as a final report on the activities carried out within the term of the contract.
- Compile and contribute to the structuring of geographic databases for monitoring the forest area and deforestation at the property level, in areas in the process of granting use rights provided by the National Land Agency ( ANT ), identifying elements to implement a gender perspective, and in the periodicities established by the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development and the National Land Agency, especially that related to the biome area of the Amazon.
- Participate in work meetings, courses, presentations, and other socialization, training, or capacity transfer events to which you are designated, including the gender approach for monitoring project activities.
- Support activities arising from cooperation agreements with key partners, in relation to the selection, download or processing of satellite images, generation of information, reports, reports and graphic outputs.
- Carry out its activities, in accordance with the parameters and guidelines established by FAO.
- The consultant must consult, study and appropriate the PROTOCOL FOR THE REPORT OF CASES OF EXPLOITATION AND SEXUAL ABUSE OF COMMUNITIES ( delivered by Human Management ) and report immediately, according to it, the cases that are known to you. FAO Colombia has zero tolerances for any practice of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Promote the generation and dissemination of good gender practices in accordance with FAO’s gender equality policy.
- Draft, document and present reports of results of execution of the planned activities.
- Any other work related to the subject matter that was required by the coordination of the project, that are related to the nature of the position.
- Facilitate the documentation and systematization of FAO strategic experiences.
- Timely diligence at the time of withdrawal from the organization, the charge delivery certificate and, in the event of supervisory functions, follow up on the correct delivery of the position of the personnel in charge.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Professional in cadastral and geodest engineering, forestry, systems, geography or related, desirable postgraduate degree in geographic, geomatic information systems, or related areas.
- Minimum general work experience of four ( 4 ) years in research work on geographic information, geographic information systems, remote sensors applied to natural resource monitoring.
- Specific experience of at least two ( 2 ) years related to structuring and standardization of geographic information, processes of formalization of thematic cartographic, participation in statistical operations of geographic data.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish ( C level ) spoken and written.
- Colombian nationality.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Work experience with multidisciplinary and multicultural groups.
- Management skills for articulation with regional, local and national actors, of public and private order.
- Teamwork ability, good interpersonal relationships and assertive communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team and establish networks and alliances.
- Leadership, initiative, creativity, responsibility and flexibility.
- Recognized capacity for the preparation and development of work plans.
- Ability to act at all times with extreme discretion regarding United Nations documents, information and materials.
- Permanent attitude and behavior of cordiality, composure, respect and collaboration with all the people and organizations with whom it interacts.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: [email protected].