About the role and team
We have a great opportunity for a Legal Assistant to join our Recoveries team in the Statutory Insurance Victoria section.
Our Statutory Insurance Victoria section has approximately 60 people and continues to grow. There is ongoing training and support available to our legal assistants, both at a team and firm level. We’re looking for someone who is energetic, eager to learn and provides a great service to our lawyers and our client.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- client file maintenance including opening, sorting and closing files;
- conducting conflict checks;
- reviewing and cross checking data and allocations;
- managing appointment bookings;
- drafting correspondence to the client;
- compiling and reviewing data and reports;
- preparing settlement documents, statement of claims and briefs;
- drafting letters and court documents;
- assisting with preparation of mediations and hearings;
- distributing electronic and hard copy mail;
- assisting with the preparation of monthly team billing;
- processing invoices; and
- other ad hoc tasks as required.
Skills and experience
We would like to hear from candidates with the following skills and experience:
- a minimum of one year experience as a legal assistant;
- a great attitude and willingness to learn;
- excellent attention to detail;
- strong organisational skills, ability to multitask and meet deadlines;
- exceptional communication skills;
- an ability to handle busy workload and competing timelines;
- strong IT skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel;
- experience in using legal billing system and client management program (eg. Aderant would be desirable but not required); and
- experience in using document management system (eg iManage10 would be desirable but not required).
Hall & Wilcox is a leading independent Australian law firm. We are a firm of more than 1000 people, including over 130 partners, delivering outstanding legal services to corporate, public sector and private clients, both Australian-based and those offshore doing business in Australia. Our purpose is to enable our clients, our people and our communities to thrive.
Some of our recent awards and citations include:
- Law Firm of the Year at the 2022 and 2023 Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards;
- Law Firm of the Year (101-500 Lawyers) and Diversity Initiative of the Year at the 2022 Australasian Law Awards;
- Ranked third in the Lawyers Weekly Top 25 Attraction Firms for 2022 and 2023;
- Employer of Choice Gender Equality citation from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) for 2021, 2022 and 2023; and
- Best Law and Related Services Firm ($100m-$200m revenue) and Best Professional Services Firm ($100m-$200m revenue) at the 2023 Client Choice Awards.
We are known for having a great culture that is warm and welcoming, progressive, inclusive and supportive, and that is underpinned by our enduring values – known as Hallmarks.
We are also renowned for Smarter Law, which means we look beyond the status quo to think differently and find solutions that are better and faster.
At Hall & Wilcox, we promote a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and value unique contributions of all people. We encourage applications from candidates of all cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates.
For more information about Hall & Wilcox please visit our website.
How to apply
Please click apply to submit an application.
We are committed to being inclusive, and to supporting candidates with disability so that every candidate is offered a fair, equitable and supportive recruitment experience. If you require any support to complete your application, or if you have any questions, please contact Nicole Hartigan, Senior Talent Acquisition/People & Culture Advisor at [email protected]
This vacancy is being managed directly by the Hall & Wilcox Talent Acquisition / People & Culture team. We will contact our preferred agency partners should we require any assistance.