About the team and the role
We have a unique and exciting opportunity for a construction / projects Lawyer or Senior Associate to join our national Property & Projects team in Melbourne.
This role will focus on both front-end and back-end construction matters.
Our national Construction team forms part of our Property & Projects section, and has specialist expertise advising on procurement, risk analysis and project structuring, financing and delivery. We act across a broad range of sectors (including commercial, residential, health care, energy, resources, utilities, transport and social infrastructure), and advise a wide range of clients (including institutional and private developers, asset owners, contractors, consultants, financiers and hospitals).
We also have a diverse construction litigation practice. Our team advises and acts in relation to complex, often high value disputes relating to delay, disruption and variation claims, defects, bank guarantee recovery, security of payment claims, liquidated damages, and other contractual and negligence claims in all Australian jurisdictions.
As a key member of the team, you will work with our award-winning and industry-leading partners, including John O’Kane and Ben Cotter, on the following types of matters:
- drafting and negotiating a range of agreements, including construction contracts, consultancy agreements, project development agreements and supply contracts for both public and private sector clients, including relating to renewable energy and social infrastructure;
- providing legal services in all aspects of construction, including joint venture and development arrangements and construction projects;
- assisting clients administer their construction contracts; and
- advising clients in relation to dispute avoidance, and acting for them in claims and disputes arising from projects (including security of payment claims).
We would like to hear from you if you have the following skills and experience:
- between 2 – 8 years of post-admission experience as a construction or projects lawyer;
- ideally you will have experience across both front-end and back-end construction matters (but specialist front-end or back-end experience will also be considered);
- the ability to work autonomously and as part of a team;
- excellent technical, analytical and drafting skills with keen attention to detail;
- outstanding verbal and written communication skills;
- a strong commitment to client service and the ability to manage client relationships;
- a focus on achieving commercial solutions for our clients;
- for senior candidates, a willingness and ability to mentor and supervise junior members of the team; and
- the ability to organise and prioritise effectively.
Hall & Wilcox is a leading independent Australian law firm. We are a firm of more than 1000 people, including over 130 partners, delivering outstanding legal services to corporate, public sector and private clients, both Australian-based and those offshore doing business in Australia. Our purpose is to enable our clients, our people and our communities to thrive.
Some of our recent awards and citations include:
- Law Firm of the Year at the 2022 and 2023 Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards;
- Law Firm of the Year (101-500 Lawyers) and Diversity Initiative of the Year at the 2022 Australasian Law Awards;
- Ranked third in the Lawyers Weekly Top 25 Attraction Firms for 2022 and 2023;
- Employer of Choice Gender Equality citation from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) for 2021, 2022 and 2023; and
- Best Law and Related Services Firm ($100m-$200m revenue) and Best Professional Services Firm ($100m-$200m revenue) at the 2023 Client Choice Awards.
We are known for having a great culture that is warm and welcoming, progressive, inclusive and supportive, and that is underpinned by our enduring values – known as Hallmarks.
We are also renowned for Smarter Law, which means we look beyond the status quo to think differently and find solutions that are better and faster.
At Hall & Wilcox, we promote a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and value unique contributions of all people. We encourage applications from candidates of all cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates.
For more information about Hall & Wilcox please visit our website.
How to apply
Please click apply to submit an application.
We are committed to being inclusive, and to supporting candidates with disability so that every candidate is offered a fair, equitable and supportive recruitment experience. If you require any support to complete your application, or if you have any questions, please contact Sally Cai, Talent Acquisition Co-ordinator at [email protected]
This vacancy is being managed directly by the Hall & Wilcox Talent Acquisition / People & Culture team. We will contact our preferred agency partners should we require any assistance.