Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Accra,Ghana;Lagos, Nigeria
Required Language(s): English, French
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 2/15/2024 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record $43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s “upstream” approach is meant to proactively create conditions that result in the movement of capital into private sector investments in the countries where we work. This is strategic business development in markets or sectors where ready-to-finance projects are not yet available, yet significant development gaps exist. Upstream activities occur before the traditional investment project cycle and are necessary precursors. They can be accomplished as quickly as in a few months or take several years.
IFC’s Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is seeking an analyst-level team member who will be responsible for supporting upstream advisory projects in the financial sector in Africa, setting the stage for investment transactions that introduce novel concepts, shape markets and drive impact.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position represents a key function in the FIG Africa Upstream Advisory team and involves the following responsibilities:
- Support upstream advisory project design and implementation across a range of initiatives carried out by the FIG Upstream Advisory team in Africa.
- Help analyze bankability of business models and project concepts; support structuring of investment transactions; map out paths and milestones to investment concept approval.
- Develop excel based models to analyze, estimate and/or forecast transaction economics, project scenarios, and partner/client financials.
- Collaborate closely with the FIG investment team to ensure successful conversion from upstream projects to investment transactions; support processing of transaction concepts enabled by upstream work.
- Support mainstream FIG investment teams on both new transactions as well as portfolio monitoring activities as required.
The position requires a combination of experience, skills and knowledge:
- eDhEfZW BIpnb
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 2-3 years of relevant experience in the financial sector, consulting, or a relevant investment role. Master’s degree preferred.
- Solid understanding of investment products and bankability criteria; relevant experience in identifying, evaluating, structuring and negotiating debt, equity, guarantee and/or risk sharing transactions.
- Thorough understanding of financial sectors in Africa preferred.
- Experience conducting market research and applying a creative approach to problem solving in a project design/implementation context.
- Excellent financial analysis skills: ability to create and refine excel based financial models.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to manage many simultaneous tasks under time pressure and deliver consistently on agreed deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. French preferred.
- Willingness to travel throughout West Africa.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.