Job Title : Driver
Duration : 1 year (renewable)
Post Grade : G2
Duty Station : Accra
To provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Business Support Associate and overall supervision of the Head of Support Services, the Driver will be responsible for the following duties.
- Provide transportation of authorized personnel including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and/or delivery of various items/commodities following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorized destinations.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
- Responsible that the assigned vehicle is kept clean and in good condition including all equipment, the maintenance is done on time, the vehicle is fully equipped with required travel authorizations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
- Outside driving duties, perform basic office-related tasks such as filing, photocopying, and maintaining stores when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service, and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Academic Qualifications Guide
Completion of secondary school education/ Middle School Leaving Certificate, Formal driver training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicles following local rules and regulations.
Desired Experiences for entry into the role:
Two or more years of work experience as a Driver, preferably in an international organization, embassy, or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks, and other kinds of motorized vehicles. Experience in defensive driving is desirable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads/waterways and conditions, and security issues. eDbRu4J BIpnb
- Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
- Knowledge of driving/boat operating rules and regulations whichever is applicable.
- Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.).
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
- Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone, and other applications.
- Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, and tact.
Language : Fluency in English language is essential. Knowledge of local languages spoken in northern Ghana will be an advantage.
How to apply:
Applicants should submit their applications and CV stating 3 references online to: www1.wfp.org/careers/job.openings and follow the steps.
Qualified Female Candidates are encouraged to apply
People living with disability are also encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates meeting the criteria will be contacted.
- WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
- WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment.