Data Analyst – Full Time, Fixed Term (12 month)
Austin Health is the major provider of tertiary health services, health professional education and research across 3 campuses in the northeast of Melbourne and state-wide. Austin Health is world-renowned for its research and specialist work in cancer, liver transplantation, spinal cord injuries, neurology, enadocrinology, mental health and rehabilitation.
An exciting opportunity currently exists for an enthusiastic and highly experienced Data Analyst to join our Performance Reporting and Decision Support Department. This is a full time, fixed term (12 month) position.
The Performance Reporting and Decision Support (PRDS) department is responsible for five key areas:
- Clinical Reporting & Analytics
- Corporate Reporting
- Health Information Services (HIS)
- Data Warehouse Management & Research Analytics
- Health Information, Reporting & Analytical Projects
Clinical Reporting covers all analytical and reporting services for Austin Health in relation to clinical operations. Corporate Reporting oversees clinical costing, funding analytics and corporate reporting. The PRDS division is also responsible for the Austin data warehouses and provision of data to the organisation.
HIS consists of medical record scanning, casemix/coding services, submissions of external mandatory activity reporting, corporate records management, morbidity data collection and release of patient information including Freedom of Information.
The PRDS division has a staffing of approximately 70 EFT located over three sites.
Key responsibilities will include:
This role is responsible for supporting Austin Health with their reporting and analytical needs. The Data Analyst will be customer focused and actively engage with all levels of clinical and non-clinical staff.
The role will require a detailed understanding of systems, data and information relevant to each clinical or operational area supported and be comfortable providing the business with pro-active, value added insights. You will work with the organisation to deliver key reports and insights to assist in improving effectiveness and efficiency and to assist the organisation to deliver efficient and safe patient care.
A client-focused approach is essential to this role and a willingness to engage that involves getting out amongst the business and being a part of their discussions and strategic planning. Working collaboratively within a team of analysts and business partners is essential.
To be successful in this role you must demonstrate:
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to liaise at all levels of the organisation
- Analytical & problem-solving skills with good attention to detail
- Strong SQL programming skills with demonstrated experience in building complex queries
- Strong Power BI skills with demonstrated experience in developing meaningful and useful paginated reports and Power BI reports.
- Strong knowledge with using business intelligence tools and concepts
- Experience in working with large complex data sets
- Understanding of data governance
- Knowledge of Public Health data
- Experience in health sector reporting
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Good organisational, time management, written and verbal skills
- Tertiary qualifications and/or extensive experience in an appropriate health or business field
Desirable but not essential:
- Tertiary qualifications in Business, Information Technology, Statistics and/or Data Science
- Experience in using R and/or Python for undertaking data analysis
- Previous experience in the public health sector
Work with us! Your reward is to work in a collaborative environment which will provide you with opportunities for ongoing training and development. Your benefits will include salary packaging, and employee assistance program.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory National Police Check conducted by Austin Health and if required, a Working With Children Check.
Austin Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.