Posting Title: UNEP Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) – Junior Communications Coordinator
Department/Office: United Nations Environment Programme
Duty Station: GENEVA
Posting Period: 13 April 2023 – 19 April 2023
Job Opening Number: 23-United Nations Environment Programme-206919-Consultant
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of ServiceThrough these services the Initiative will be able to engage a broad range of financial institutions, including commercial banks, asset managers, insurers, and multi-lateral development banks and agencies in implementing global finance sector principles to catalyze integration of sustainability into financial market practice. The frameworks UNEP FI is supporting implementation include Principles for Responsible Banking (PRB) now committed to by more than 300 banks collectively holding USD 53 trillion in assets, or one third of the global banking sector, and the Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI), established 2012 by UNEP FI and today applied by one-quarter of the world’s insurers (25% of world premium). The services will also help promote sustainability into all aspects of the financial sector’s operations and services. Finally, the services will help the Initiative to broaden its outreach both within UNEP / UN and external to banks, insurers and investors, governments, regulators, private sector and multi-stakeholders, including supporting institutions.
Work LocationWorking remotely
Expected duration4 months
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The overall objective of the UNEP’s Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive. It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities. The United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) is the strategic partnership between the United Nations and over 300 banks, insurers and investors. For over 28 years UNEP FI has been shaping and driving the international sustainable finance agenda, setting global standards and growing a global network of leading financial institutions. Through its work-streams and regional activities, peer learning, methodology development, training and research, UNEP FI promotes sustainable finance and helps the financial industry align with and contribute to the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals. UNEP FI needs a consultant to assist with all their communications requirements, including digital, web-based, print and currently does not have the relevant professional expertise internally. Objectives: In line with the work programme delivered during the UNEP FI Annual General Meetings and under the direct supervision of Liesel Van Ast, in close cooperation with the Communications Team the consultant will carry out the following project tasks as shown below in 3.2 below. The consultant will support UNEP FI’s outreach and communications to the General membership and the wider finance industry via online communications, social media, email campaigns, press relations, etc. Specific tasks and responsibilities: The consultant will provide assistance in the following project/tasks for UNEP FI’s communications work:
- Write content for, update and assist management of UNEP FI’s website
- Assist with upgrade of existing website in particular work to enhance the information available to members including a new members’ area
- Manage and produce content for four social media channels in coordination with communications colleagues and other members of the UNEP FI secretariat
- Produce monthly newsletters for UNEP FI’s members and ad hoc mailings advertising events and the PRB Academy
- Assist with outreach to media on key projects and events
- Production of web and social media analysis
- Lead communications on UNEP FI’s work on social issues, policy and regulation, Pollution and Circular Economy.
- Lead communications for the Climate and TCFD work programme. Assist with communications promoting all UNEP FI’s other climate work including COP 28, net-zero comms coordination and assisting with net-zero campaigns
- Assist with updating and reviewing data in SendInBlue, UNEP FI’s mailing system
- Management of content on UNEP FI’s members’ area
- Assist with promotion of the Leadership Council
- Assist with communications promoting UNEP FI’s Investment Leadership Programme
- Assist with acting as focal point for UNEP FI reporting on publications as part of publications process Outputs and Deliverables:
- Enhanced communications with members and other stakeholders such as the media via improved newsletters and regular email campaigns
- Quality social media content ensuring consistent tone
- Content calendar for UNEP FI and UNEP websites
- Gather statistics and feedback to improve communications
- Media list and analytics maintained
- Communications campaigns calendar and planning maintained
- Publications process monitored and organized
- Clear and effective communications materials produced.
- Deliver communications on blue economy and food systems. The consultant shall be under the overall supervision of the Head of UNEP FI and report directly to the Programme Management Officer, working in close coordination with UNEP FI’s Communications Coordinator.
Qualifications/special skillsProfessional Experience: At least four (4) year’s working experience in communications, PR, or marketing. Up-to-date proficiency with communications best practices, including digital communications particularly social media. Experience in using webinar and online meeting platforms, online content management systems (ideally WordPress), social media packages such as Hootsuite and Canva. Education: A University degree in communications, marketing, PR, media, international relations, business, event management, Administration, public relations or a related field.
LanguagesLanguages: English is the working language of UNEP FI. Knowledge of other United Nations languages is an asset.
Additional InformationSkills & Knowledge: Excellent oral and written communications skills in English, strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with digital technology; ability to cope with juggling multiple tasks across diverse projects in an organized and timely manner; attention to detail. Knowledge of social media and virtual communications channels is desirable, as is experience of writing copy for social media, online articles and press releases. The consultant is expected to support colleagues in implementing communications strategies and work plans. The consultant should have the ability to establish and maintain good working relations in a multicultural and geographically dispersed team working across functions. A hands-on, pragmatic approach is desirable. An interest in sustainable finance for oceans/blue economy and land use/food systems is desirable.