Posting Title: UNEP Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) Assist Joint Programme Junior Consultant
Department/Office: United Nations Environment Programme
Duty Station: GENEVA
Posting Period: 13 April 2023 – 19 April 2023
Job Opening Number: 23-United Nations Environment Programme-206918-Consultant
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of ServiceProject partner bank(s) develop and offer new SDGs-linked loans for SMEs in Indonesia. SMEs will commit to adopting new sustainability practices and gain access to the new SDGs-linked loans.
Work LocationHome based in Jakarta, Indonesia
Expected duration12 months
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The overall objective of the UNEP’s Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive. It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities. The United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) is the strategic partnership between the United Nations and over 450 banks, insurers and investors. For over 28 years UNEP FI has been shaping and driving the international sustainable finance agenda, setting global standards and growing a global network of leading financial institutions. Through its work-streams and regional activities, peer learning, methodology development, training and research, UNEP FI promotes sustainable finance and helps the financial industry align with and contribute to the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals. By 2100, climate change is expected to result in up to a 7% drop in Indonesia’s GDP, yet 38% of the country’s Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) to the Paris Agreement remain underfunded. Indonesia requires around USD 20.6 billion annually to implement climate action by 2030. If funding gaps are not addressed, Indonesians will experience direct negative impacts from climate change. These negative impacts will directly harm Indonesia’s most vulnerable populations and particularly women. Market failures and the lack of enabling environment are impeding public and private investments at scale. UNEP is part of the Participating UN Organisations (PUNOs) to the UN Joint SDG Fund project, “Accelerating Sustainable Development Goals Investments in Indonesia Joint Programme”. The Joint Programme (JP) intends to support the Government of Indonesia in reducing the financing gap and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs through increased financing from innovative financing mechanisms and instruments from both government and non-government sources. Within this JP, this consultancy aims to support UNEP which together with UNIDO are providing technical assistance to Indonesian banks and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) to improve institutional capacities to access and utilize finance towards the achievement of the SDGs through the development of a series of SDGs-linked loans. The Junior Consultant will work to assist the Indonesia SME Financing Consultant with the implementation of the JP (80% of the total consulting time). The Junior Consultant will be expected to assist UNEP’s Programme Management Officer in the coordination of projects in Indonesia (20%). Objectives: The objective is to support Indonesia in mobilizing domestic SDGs financing by supporting the capacity development and experience of bank managers. Specific tasks and responsibilities: Related to the JP (30%)
- In coordination with the Indonesia SME Financing Consultant, create a synchronized Workplan for the project activities.
- Support the coordination of the activities of the project. In particular, coordinate with project partners – UN RCO, UNDP, UNIDO, bank(s) and Indonesia national and local governments.
- Coordinate events, training, and other dissemination of project activities.
- Coordinate with UNIDO to engage with SMEs to raise awareness of the SDGs-linked loan.
- Support partner bank in its marketing campaign for the SDGs-linked loan.
- Support the communication and procurement activities of the project.
- Support the research and consultation with project stakeholders to develop a candidate list of projects for the second SDGs-linked loan.
- Support the securing of partner bank(s) for the second loan project.
- Support the loan disbursements from the first loan project. The minimum target is 10 loans. Related to assisting UNEP’s Programme Management Officer (10%)
- Support UNEP’s Programme Management Officer in scheduling necessary meetings with partner institutions and governments.
- Support the communication activities of UNEP Indonesia. Outputs and Deliverables:
- Gender Concept Note prepared.
- Gender-specific activities for project implementation prepared.
- Deliverables from project activities maintained.
- Legal agreements with banks generated and signed.
- Enhanced communications with members and other stakeholders such as the media via improved newsletters.
- Ensure monthly project reporting submitted.
- Semi-annual and annual project reports prepared and submitted.
- Project delivery rate reports and budgets are closely monitored and reported.
- Gather research reports to support the project.
- Procurement process on behalf of the partner bank managed.
- Communications calendar and planning maintained.
- Clear and effective communications materials produced.
- Minutes of meetings with stakeholders recorded.
- Project folders and archives organized. The consultant shall be under the overall supervision of the Head of UNEP FI and report directly to Programme Officer at UNEP FI and work closely with the Assist Indonesia Joint Programme.
Qualifications/special skillsEducation: A Master’s degree is required in one or several of the following areas: finance, business administration, economics, urban studies, science, social sciences, environmental studies or sustainable development. A first-level university degree in combination with at least four (4) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Professional Experience: At least two (2) years of working experience in sustainable development. Knowledge of and experience in sustainability is considered a strong advantage. Experience in project management is desired.
LanguagesLanguages: English is the working language of UNEP FI. Bahasa Indonesian is also required for this position. Knowledge of other United Nations languages is an asset.
Additional InformationSkills & Knowledge: Knowledge of project development and planning; Good coordination, organization, and planning skills, with the ability to work under pressure; Manages competing demands and changes approach or methods to suit the situation. Has good knowledge of the banking sector or sustainable finance.