Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an Experience of a Lifetime to our guests and our employees. You’re brave, ambitious and passionate and we want you on our team. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
The perks start with a free lift pass, but as a Vail Resorts Australia employee, that’s just the beginning. Think free group lessons with our qualified snowsports instructors, discounts of up to 40% at our food, rental and retail outlets, employee recognition programs, staff events, training, wellness programs and more!
Become part of our dedicated teams working behind the scenes to craft the ultimate skiable experience at one of our three premier Australian resorts! Snowmaking is a sophisticated operation combining art and science, demanding commitment to craft and skill. The role requires embracing unconventional hours and demonstrating resilience against the elements, whether it’s facing icy conditions, snowfall, or challenging winds. We are seeking dynamic individuals to join us as Snowmakers for the upcoming 2024 season. In this role, you’ll be an essential part of a small, efficient team responsible for operating blend of state-of-the-art automated snowmaking technology and manually operated snow guns.
As a Snowmaker, your key responsibilities will span managing this equipment, evaluating weather conditions, and ensuring the production of high-quality snow. Your focus on quality and efficiency will contribute to the early-season terrain and the overall longevity of the ski season.
Collaboration is crucial and Snowmakers will work closely with other mountain operations departments, performing maintenance tasks and additional duties as needed. Operating mostly during night shifts, this role offers the chance to enjoy the numerous perks our resorts offer.
While previous experience with automated snowmaking technology or snowmobile operation is advantageous, it’s not mandatory as comprehensive training will be provided to successful applicants.
If you’re ready for a challenging yet rewarding role, come be a part of the team that ensures our resorts are the go-to destination for skiers in Australia!
In a typical day in this role, you might:
- Engage in physically demanding tasks such as shovelling snow, climbing ladders, de-icing equipment, connecting hoses and electrical cords, driving snowmobiles, and navigating steep slopes.
- Operate both automated systems and manual snow guns, adjusting settings as needed.
- Continuously evaluate meteorological factors such as temperature, wind patterns, and humidity.
- Regularly inspect and assess the texture and consistency of the produced snow, making adjustments as required.
- Work closely with mountain operation departments.
To be considered for this role, you should have:
- A current unrestricted driver’s licence
- A high level of physical fitness and be in good health – snowmakers must be able to climb, balance, kneel, crouch, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, hear, see, carry and perform repetitive motions as required
- The ability to work outside, on your feet, in all weather conditions primarily at night
- A willingness to work shift work, including night shifts
- A cheerful, “can-do” attitude
As part of our team, you will be expected to:
- Demonstrate our core Values – Have Fun, Be Inclusive, Be Safe, Do Good, Serve Others, Drive Value and Do Right
- Provide an experience that creates a desire for our guests to return
- Be punctual, reliable and show up for work with an enthusiastic attitude and embrace all parts of your job
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with fellow workmates, showing respect to your peers and supervisors
Important: This is an early application process for seasonal roles that will start from June 2024, offers for these positions will begin to be sent out from January.
Employment start dates will vary depending on the role and snow conditions, but most roles start in June and finish in late September.
Staff accommodation may be available for successful applicants. You will be asked to indicate in your application whether you require accommodation. If you are offered a position, we will be in touch to confirm and provide further information.
At Vail Resorts Australia one of our core values is Be Inclusive. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. If you require assistance to apply, interview or otherwise participate in the employee selection process, please contact us at [email protected].
Join our team and experience the outdoors like never before. Your adventure starts now.