Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Senior Human Resources Assistant
Vacancy Number: VN/IOMSO/001/2023
Duty Station: IOM Somalia in Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: General Service Category, Grade G7
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: 01 April 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management Unit of IOM Somalia and under the direct supervision of the Human Resources Officer/Head of Unit in Nairobi, the incumbent will take leading role in planning, organizing and coordinating the activities of the human resources unit and administrative functions of the Mission and its sub-offices. In particular, he/she will perform below responsibilities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in coordinating and monitoring the Human Resources management functions in the mission in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and practices. Assist in interpreting and implementing IOM’s HR policies, rules, and regulations, as well as standards and techniques taking into account the Mission’s activities.
- Participate in evaluation of staffing needs in the Mission and coordinate recruitment processes, including but not limited to, providing guidance to hiring managers on preparation of Post Description, drafting and posting vacancies, screening and shortlisting applications, drafting interview protocols, preparing and administering written tests, taking part in interview panels as assigned, drafting candidates assessment forms, conducting reference checks, preparing job offers, administering recruitment mailbox, etc.
- Coordinate pre-employment activities such as preparation of Entry on Duty (EOD) documentation and collection of supporting documentation, coordination of EOD medical exams and follow-up with Health Insurance Medical Services (Manila or Panama) on medical clearance, coordinate enrollment in insurance plans as appropriate, coordination and delivery of induction sessions, arrangement for security briefing, etc.
- Perform assigned role(s) in PRISM HR; monitor consistency and accuracy of data; verify eligibility for allowances and other benefits, monitor and follow-up on contractual situation and entitlements, and coordinate prompt actions; generate, edit, review and ensure correctness of reports, contract extensions, personnel actions and other related documentation.
- Supervise and prepare the monthly payroll for IOM national staff and TPC staff and related administrative actions.
- In coordination with HR team, monitor timely preparation and renewal of all types of contracts and the administration of entitlements, including for non-staff such as consultants, interns, hourly contracts and TPC.
- In coordination with HR team, monitor attendance and leave administration; generate, edit and analyse leave-related reports; respond to questions concerning leave administration; guide staff on request and approval procedure in PRISM.
- Carry-out, coordinate and monitor a wide range of Human Resource actions including but not limited to preparation of documentation for separation, classification, reclassification, promotion, disciplinary cases and coordinate with the Regional Office, Administrative Centers and Human Resource Management in Geneva as appropriate.
- Prepare, coordinate and monitor all reports on personnel matters and submit timely to concerned parties; draft and review routine correspondence, letters, certifications, etc.; Create and maintain a systematic way to archive Human Resources documents (electronic and hard copies). Update and maintain electronic and physical archiving systems in the unit including personnel files with all supporting documentation, recruitment files, Human Resources policies, regulations, guidelines and manuals, internal controls, etc.
- Monitor compliance with the Performance Evaluation System and follow-up with staff and supervisor as needed; facilitate compliance by providing technical guidance on the use of the system.
- Plan and coordinate the organization of Human Resource events including staff development and training activities in coordination with the Staff Development and Learning Unit and maintain updated records. Participate in assessments of staff training and development needs.
- Identify areas for improvement and highlight them to the supervisor; provide inputs for new procedures to complement or to adapt existing ones taking into consideration the specific needs of the office. Assist in analyzing and resolving sensitive cases by collating background information, preparing summaries, and sharing best practices. Provides comments on interpretation.
- Handle all enquiries on Human Resources matters; provide explanation to staff entitlements and Human Resources policies, rules and regulations. Provide information to managers and staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlements; evaluate causes of problems or constraints and propose solutions; analyze and make recommendations for atypical or unprecedented situations involving interpretation or Human Resources policies. Identify, analyze, and resolve diverse issues/problems as they arise and suggest appropriate actions.
- Participate in inter-agency Human Resources related working groups as assigned.
- Guide, coordinate and supervise the work of staff in the unit.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology or related field from an accredited institution with minimum five years of relevant professional experience; or
- High School diploma from an accredited institution with minimum seven years of relevant experience.
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Professional and management experience in Human Resources covering: Recruitment, Salary and Benefits Administration, Training and Development, HR Information Systems, preferably in an international organization.
- Familiarity with UN common system or similar systems.
- High level of computer literacy. Good knowledge of MS Office specifically EXCEL.
- Knowledge of PRISM (SAP) a distinct advantage;
- Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way, and meet deadlines;
- Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things;
- Mature individual, able to work independently; ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Must have excellent communication skills (written and spoken).
- Strong interpersonal skill, ability to work in a diverse team, flexible and quickly adapt to new/different environment.
Fluency in English and Kiswahili (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and act in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicate a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (VN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: [email protected]
From 14.02.2023 to 20.02.2023