Company: Alliance for Reproductive Health Rights (ARHR)
Category: NGO / International Agencies
Job status: Full-Time
Experience: 3 years
Job expires: 25 Nov-2023
The Alliance for Reproductive Health Rights (ARHR), established in 2004, is a network of Ghanaian Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and Community-based Organizations (CBOS) promoting a rights-based approach to reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health (RMNCAH) through advocacy, research and capacity building.
ARHR leads several civil society organizations to advocate for strengthened health systems to achieve UHC, with an emphasis on increased investment in PHC. ARHR convenes several dialogues between civil society, the private sector, media, academia, and state actors to demand accountability in health resource mobilization, allocation, and expenditure using evidence-based information. ARHR further engages in policy advocacy by tracking gaps between policy and practice and utilizing the evidence to inform a review of policy.
• Working collaboratively with other teams across the organization, the Research & Advocacy Officer will play a key role in undertaking high-quality research in health systems strengthening, health financing, and engaging in health advocacy. He/ She will assist with the development and implementation of advocacy strategies; and ultimately, prepare policy submissions and initiatives. This will be done in the context of developing and promoting ARHR as a strong voice for women, children, and adolescents’ health and well-being.
DUTIES, ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and implement ARHR’s research and advocacy agenda in line with the strategic and operational plan
• Research, write, and prepare papers, reports, and policy briefs on relevant issues which contribute to ARHR’s overall advocacy goal
• Prepare policy papers, briefings, and position papers to inform key stakeholders on issues with regard to health systems strengthening, financing, and the well-being of target audiences
• Research and prepare policy papers, briefings, and position papers to support the Executive Director’s role of representing ARHR at conferences, meetings, and others
• Analyze and assess relevant new and emerging policy and budget papers on health and related for advocacy purposes
• Contribute to proposal writing and concept development by providing evidence and information to support the process
• Track and analyze global and national policy and advocacy environment, making strategic recommendations for opportunities for advocacy and key engagements
• Support the organization and management of events, meetings, and campaigns to ensure the implementation of the research and advocacy plan
• Support and contribute to the development of the capacity of member organizations to generate materials and conduct other desk-based research and policy analyses and provide strategic support to same
• Support the implementation of a MEL system to track the output, outcomes, and impact of ARHR’s research and advocacy work
• Be abreast and up to date with key issues related to the research and advocacy work of ARHR including monitoring of related activities of member organizations
• Identify and participate in networks in established ARHR’s priority areas with relevant stakeholders and partners; providing salient information on ARHR’s work as and when necessary
• Support the design of initiatives to build the capacity of member organizations to more effectively engage in advocacy and strengthen linkages with key advocacy stakeholders/ partners
• Undertake other duties & responsibilities within the scope of the role as may be directed
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge or demonstrable interest in maternal, newborn, adolescent’s health, health financing, and health systems strengthening.
• Good understanding of the global and national health policy environment
• Demonstrated knowledge & experience in outcomes measurement, evaluation frameworks & research
• Experience in government relations, knowledge of the mechanisms of government and political processes, and an ability to advocate effectively with decision-makers
• Experience conducting policy analysis and synthesizing technical information and materials for decision-making and advocacy actions
• Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with key internal andexternal stakeholders
• Ability to foster links, in collaboration with the Executive Director, with relevant partners and key stakeholders including government agencies, officials, parliamentarians, funding bodies, etc in order to develop and maintain advocacy networks and a research base
• Strong interpersonal skills & a proven track record in working collaboratively with a range of stakeholders to achieve outcomes
• Ability to build the organization’s profile through the establishment and maintenance of research partnerships with external organizations
• Demonstrated experience and skill in developing & writing research and advocacy outputs, including the ability to develop an evidence-based understanding of relevant issues
• Strong presentation, training, and facilitation skills
Qualification Required & Experience
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Public Health, Development Studies, Public Policy, or a related field.
• At least three (3) years’ work experience implementing research and advocacy initiatives in a not-for-profit/ non-governmental organization
• This is a full-time permanent position with a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Method Of Application
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and CV to:
[email protected] with the subject line ‘Research and Advocacy Officer Application”
Closing Date: 25 November, 2023
ARHR is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action employer that is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.