Job Identification : 8323
Locations : Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posting Date : 02/27/2023, 10:07 AM
Apply Before : 03/07/2023, 04:59 AM
Degree Level : Advanced/Postgraduate Degree
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB4
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Rule of Law, Security and Human Rights
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English and Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian (BCS)
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Job Category : Management
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The promotion of inclusive and sustainable development has been an important item of UNDP Strategic Plan 2022 – 2025, concretely its directions of change: structural transformation (including green, inclusive and digital transitions: working with countries to effect change in systems and structures that shape a country’s sustainable development), leaving no-one behind (a rights-based approach centred on empowerment, inclusion, equity, human agency and human development), building resilience (strengthening countries and institutions to prevent, mitigate and respond to crisis, conflict, natural disasters, climate and social and economic shocks).
The strategic entry point for UNDP’s engagement in cybersecurity in Bosnia and Herzegovina emerges around the topic of cybersecurity regulations, which interconnects with several structural elements within the system. If all relevant institutional stakeholders are engaged and co-develop the cybersecurity system in Bosnia and Herzegovina, as per their responsibilities, which is then regulated through EU-aligned legislative frameworks at different government levels – including these linked to the digital economy, then the foundation for a coherent cybersecurity system will be set in place. The Strengthening Cybersecurity Capacities in Bosnia and Herzegovina seeks to contribute through a portfolio of interventions, improve cybersecurity legislative and policy environment, as well as awareness, skills, and governments’ capabilities necessary to carry forward a coherent, secure, and resilient cybersecurity agenda in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the region.
The intervention shall therefore focus on establishing relevant legal, regulatory and institutional frameworks aligned with the relevant EU Regulations. The anticipated effects from this intervention shall manifest in: improved enabling environment for the accelerated pace of EU-aligned cybersecurity agenda implementation in Bosnia and Herzegovina; increased security level of networks and information systems in the country and improved prevention, preparedness, reaction, and resilience to cyber incidents and threats in public, private sectors, and society as a whole; increased trust of users, organizations, and companies in using digital tools through awareness-raising.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Justice and Security Sector Leader, the Project Manager will lead Strengthening Cybersecurity Capacities in Bosnia and Herzegovina Project. He/she will be responsible for result-based project performance and financial delivery. He/she will have a firm understanding of the project management cycle and experience managing complex organizational structures and programmes. The incumbent will, moreover, act as an advisor to the Justice and Security Sector Leader and UNDP senior management for all areas related to cybersecurity implementation in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of UNDP Justice and Security Sector Leader, the Project Manager will provide support to the implementation of following key functions: Ensures effective management of the Cybersecurity project contributing to improved Cybersecurity situation in BiH:
- Ensures effective project management and take full responsibility for the implementation of the project activities focusing on achieving the expected project outputs and set project activities;
- Ensures timely implementation of the project activities in line with the approved Project Documents and Annual Work-plans;
- Supervises and guides the project activities such as workshops, studies and publications, subcontracting, procurement of equipment and services;
- Ensures overall integration of the project into the regional and country’s existing and planned activities, as well as regional and national policies and plans relevant to cybersecurity;
- Finalizes annual work plans with indicative scheduling of identified main output and activities as guidance documents for the formulation and review of annual work plans;
- Ensures close coordination between other relevant projects and programmes, both in-country and regional that are led by the project’s partners, UNDP, and other organizations active in the field of Cybersecurity maximizing the efficient and effective use of resources;
- Reports to the Project Board to assure the overall direction and integrity of the project;
- Provides direction and guidance to the Project Team.
Provide sound technical advice to the UNDP senior management in the subject matter area:
- Provides technical advice and conceptual guidance to senior management on the Cybersecurity implementation and development in the country as well as on global trends;
- Acts as an advisor and formulate strategic approach related to cybersecurity awarenessraising in the public sector and advocate for the adoption of cybersecurity regulatory, policy and strategic frameworks in BiH:
- Coordinates activities with other projects under Justice and Security Sector and other sectors in UNDP and across the organization;
- Finalizes, based on inputs by other project’s team members, TORs for consultants, reviews and approves their reports;
- Finalizes relevant policy briefs, lessons learned documents, communication materials, website updates, and other relevant publications;
- Provides quality control over the technical inputs of the project’s team members and contributes to other Justice and Security Sector policy inputs prior to submission to the senior management.
Creates and maintains strategic partnerships focusing on achievement of the expected project’s outputs and set project’s activities:
- Analyses and researches information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, active contribution to the UNDP efforts in implementation of the Project`s resources mobilization strategies;
- Develops effective dialogue with partners and among stakeholders and engages with relevant donors and contributes to the CO resources mobilization efforts in the area of Cybersecurity;
- Actively works on partnerships with UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, civil society, universities in BiH, professional business associations and other stakeholders to support strengthen the cybersecuriy in BiH based on strategic goals of UNDP and the needs of target countries;
- Encourages active participation of all stakeholders in order to promote empowerment and ownership of national counterparts and stakeholders;
Project monitoring, reporting and quality assurance based on the principle of result-based management:
- Carries out regular follow-up and monitoring on a regular basis implementation activities, projects details, schedules, deliverables and budget as expressed in the Annual Work Plan – AWP with the project team;
- Carries out regular monitoring and reporting on risks and mitigation measures, including updating the projects’ Risk Logs in UNDP Online Management Tool and Project Information Management System;
- Finalizes and ensures timely submission of required Project’s reports, including narrative and financial reports to relevant parties as well as annual progress and expenditure reports, as per donor requirements
- Prepares analytical reviews and systematically captures lessons learnt from the project implementation; identifies follow-up actions and submits them for consideration to the Project Board;
- Provides regular updates on the Project’s progress to UNDP Justice and Security Sector Leader as well as key project’s stakeholders
- Submission of annual Project Implementation Reviews to the Project Board in accordance with the section “Monitoring and Evaluation” of the Project Document.
Knowledge management and gender equality:
- Contributes to wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Contributes to dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
- Supports continuous learning by the project team;
- Ensures that achieved project key results, knowledge tools and products have been mainstreamed within the project field work, as well as within other relevant UNDP interventions and support their popularization and application beyond UNDP scope of work;
- Contributes to maintaining the pool of project deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials;
- Ensures gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the project activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in Project knowledge management activities and products.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the UNDP Justice and Security Sector Leader.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management Competencies:
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site
Cross Functional & Technical Competencies:
- Business Management – Results-based Management:
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Business Management – Partnership Management:
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and public sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Business Management – Communication:
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Partnership management – Resource mobilization:
- Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements
- Partnership management – Relationship management:
- Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding
- Business Direction & Strategy – Entrepreneurial Thinking:
- Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
- External Relations & Advocacy – General (across the functions / Event Planning and Execution:
- Ability to plan, manage and execute of public and private events to ensure that they support and amplify individual communications and advocacy initiatives, as well as UNDP’s overall brand and mandate.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in the area of Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Economic or any other related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in combination with 2 years of qualifying experience is accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Master’s degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of relevant work experience in implementing and coordinating development projects in area of cyber security, and protection of IT systems.
- Demonstrated experience in developing strategic and policy documents.
- Demonstrated experience in working with government, education institutions and donors.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills in English and Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian (BCS).
- In-depth knowledge of dealing with cybersecurity governance within the public sector at strategic level;
- Good understanding and familiarity with cybersecurity regulations in the Western Balkans will be considered an asset;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Ability to identify discrimination, address it, and maintain an enabling working environment based on fairness, respect and freedom from any forms of harassment and abuse;
- Understand the language associated with gender, equity, inclusion, and diversity;
- Ability to strategically and effectively communicate results from gender lens;
- In-depth contextual knowledge of gender relations and social structures in BiH;
- Ability to apply knowledge of empirical facts about gender aspects within the thematic/policy area and activities, and the ability to correctly classify and interpret gender-disaggregated facts and data.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section:
- Negotiation and Influence: Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations.
- Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally.
Any formal certificate related to post requirements would be considered as an asset
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.