Position Title : Project Assistant
Duty Station : IOM Philippines Country Office
Classification : General Service Staff, G-4
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 December 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the general supervision of the Programme Manager and the direct supervision of the National Project Officer under the Protection Division, the Project Assistant is responsible for supporting administrative and logistical support for initiatives under Migration Management, particularly activities under protection, including Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration. Further, the successful candidate will provide support to IOM clients undertaking international and domestic travel under movement operations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide operational support in airport reception, transit, and departure modalities, including other travel documentation requirements, in close coordination with other IOM missions and counterparts (UNHCR, embassies)
- Coordinate with the next-of-kin (NOK) of clients, airlines, immigration, other IOM divisions, and other service providers to provide sufficient arrival or departure assistance to regular and medical cases as required
- Coordinate with government and non-government partners for referral cases as needed
- Assist refugees, stranded migrants, and other vulnerable migrants for medical screening, immigration procedures, and other pre-departure requirements, in coordination with Operations Assistants, other IOM missions and counterparts
- Prepare and distribute Advance Booking Notifications in MiMOSA to counterparts for departure cases
- Assist in the implementation of the return and reintegration assistance for returning Filipino migrants in coordination with respective Operations Assistants and IOM Missions.
- Assist in reintegration monitoring and evaluation activities in areas of return, in coordination with Operations Assistants
- Assist in preparing and submitting case reports and forms to relevant IOM Missions and record case updates in MiMOSA
- Make arrangements for domestic and international travel undertaken by IOM clients, including vehicle rental, hotel bookings, liaison with foreign embassies/consulates, booking and requesting ticket issuance for flights, facilitate the verification of ticket invoice among others.
- Perform other administrative and logistical support for Migration Management Unit, as required.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in social work, international or behavioural studies, or any related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience in the various fields of assistance and protection; or
- Completed high school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in the field of human rights, migrant protection or direct assistance, including social work
- Experience in ticketing, airport and/or consular liaison, and movement arrangements is an advantage
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to details, sense of responsibility, and teamwork
- Working knowledge in case work and assistance to vulnerable populations
- Working knowledge of the Global Distribution System, preferably the Amadeus reservation system is an advantage
Fluency in English and Filipino (oral and written) is required for this position. Working knowledge of a major Filipino dialects (i.e. Bisaya) is desirable.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism:demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via [email protected] not later than 23 December 2022. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 2022 033 – Project Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.