Job Identification : 10215
Locations : Almaty, Kazakhstan
Posting Date : 04/28/2023, 03:59 AM
Apply Before : 05/15/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UN Office on Drugs & Crime
Grade : SB3
Vacancy Type : Service Contract Holders
Practice Area : Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding and Responsive Institutions
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration : 6 months
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 6 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Fluency in spoken and written English and Russian
Desired Languages : Fluency in Kazakh
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Programme Office in Kazakhstan contributes to the country’s efforts to build just, inclusive and resilient societies that leave no one behind through delivery of a range technical assistance programmes focusing on the following programmatic priorities outlined in the UNODC Programme for Central Asia for 2021-2025: (i) Preventing and Countering Transnational Organized Crime; (ii) Preventing Crime, Increasing Access to Justice and Strengthening the Rule of Law; (iii) Addressing Drug Use, Increasing Treatment of Drug Use Disorders and Preventing HIV/AIDS; (iv) Preventing and Countering Terrorism, Violent Extremism and Radicalization that Leads to Violence; (v) Supporting Research, Trend Analysis, Policy, Advocacy and Forensics; UNODC Regional Programme for Afghanistan and Neighboring Countries and the UNODC Strategy 2021-2025.
The Programme Associate is expected to contribute to the enhanced coherence within the ongoing and future UNODC global/regional/national programmes and provide support to effective programme(s) delivery in line with UNODC strategic programmes and in close coordination and guidance by the UNODC Regional Office for Central Asia and UNODC HQ in Vienna.
The position of the Programme Associate is located in the UNODC Programme Office in Kazakhstan with duty station in Almaty. Under the direct supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the Programme Associate contributes to the respective programme(s) delivery by carrying out a range of programme and operations related tasks including administrative, finance, procurement and others in line with UN rules and regulations.
The incumbent reports to the International Programme Coordinator / National Programme Officer on programme implementation and will report to the Head of UNODC Programme Office in Kazakhstan on office management and administration related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the International Programme Coordinator / National Programme Officer on programme (s) delivery; and under overall supervision of the Head of the Programme Office in Kazakhstan on office management and administration related issues, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks, including:
- Provide support with drafting programme budget and costed workplan, budget information for quarterly/semi-annual/annual programme(s) progress reports.
- Assist with preparing documentation and collating papers, etc. prepared by UNODC or consultants, including background materials, manuals for training courses and workshops, briefing notes, working papers, etc.
- Contribute to planning, organizing and implementing of training courses, conferences, round tables, official meetings, workshops and exchange visits.
- Prepare background materials for supervisor (s) for use during official missions or special programme related meetings/briefings/etc.
- Assist in collecting, registering and maintaining information on programme(s) activities by reviewing reports and through first-hand sources.
- Provide assistance in organization and logistic support for experts / programme staff missions as required.
- Liaise with national and international counterparts as well as with the administrative, finance and other substantial units of UNODC ROCA, UNDP for programme(s) related work.
- Maintain, log, file and update records in prescribed format for subsequent use.
- Arrange for the recording and administrative processing of various requests for assistance within the project activities and other relevant areas.
- Draft official correspondence (letters, NVs, memoranda, etc.) related to the programme activities and ensure follow-up.
- Translate and interpret when necessary;
- Provide support in preparing sub-contracts and procurement of goods and services in coordination with the ROCA Procurement/Administrative section.
- Handle daily financial operations in term of preparing the payments’ requests and submitting approved requests for payments, cash withdrawals from UNDP and other procedures ensuring compliance with the local banking and UN procedures.
- Create and process Umoja Travel Requests, Expense Reports, Shopping Carts, Purchase Orders, Service Entry Sheets, Goods Receipts, Invoices for procurement of goods and services and follow up with submission to UNDP Finance Unit for further processing of payments.
- Monitor programme(s) budget vs. expenditures according to programme(s) work plans and assist in preparation of financial reports;
- Perform Office Operations duties in compliance with the Interoffice Memorandum on division of responsibilities among UNODC staff in Kazakhstan;
- Perform other related duties as required in the scope of current position
Core: Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline. Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements. Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback. Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible. Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident. Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships. Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies: Business Direction & Strategy. Business Acumen: Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome. Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Business Management. Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Business Management. Resource Management: Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity.
Administration & Operations. Documents and records management: Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. A first-level university degree in management, business administration or related social science or equivalent diploma will be given due consideration.
- Six years (with secondary education) or three years (for first-level university degree holders) of relevant professional experience in administrative work and/or programme/project support.
- Experience with UN (knowledge of UN administrative rules and regulations) or other international organizations is considered as an advantage.
- Experience in working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems (UMOJA, SAP, or similar) and IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards) is highly desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Russian is required.
- Fluency in Kazakh is highly desirable.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.