Job Identification : 11435
Locations : Aden, Yemen
Posting Date : 06/13/2023, 01:53 PM
Apply Before : 06/28/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NPSA-10
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Recovery Solutions and Human Mobility
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Arab States
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 7 year(s) experience
Other Criteria : Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, or related field is required,
Required Languages : Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and oral
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Vocational and Business Skills Training and Support Project – Phase II is an expansion of phase I of the project funded by the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Centre (KSrelief) for the period November 2020 to June 2022. The two phases of the project aim to empower rural young men and women with vocational, technical, and business skills, and nurture an entrepreneurship culture to enhance their employability and productive engagement in economic and local recovery activities.
The overall objective of the project is to empower rural young men and women with relevant skills and to enhance their employability and productive engagement in economic and local recovery activities. The project’s specific objectives are:
- To build market driven vocational and technical skills of conflict-affected young men and women in targeted districts
- To enhance the business and entrepreneurial skills of youth that have been provided with vocational and technical skills training
- To support value chain development in highly promising business areas
These efforts contribute to and complement efforts by other UNDP projects, humanitarian and development actors in Yemen in favour of the economic recovery and livelihood restoration which will lead to improved well-being and resilience among Yemenis.
UNDP Yemen now seeks to hire a National Coordinator to provide results-based project management for the project based in the UNDP Country Office in Aden
Duties and Responsibilities
Under direct supervision of the Project Manager, the National Coordinator will be responsible for: Summary of Key Functions:
- Support project management, implementation and coordination.
- Financial Management and Reporting.
- Support building strategic partnerships and resources mobilization.
- Results based management monitoring and evaluation and reporting.
- Assist in Knowledge Building and management.
Support project management, Implementation and Coordination
- Support the development of the work plan, activities, targets, budget, standards for measuring progress and results and determine the processes, tools and methodologies to be used to ensure effective and efficient project implementation and operations;
- Assist in the recruitment of project staff and line-manage national staff in accordance with UNDP guidelines;
- Ensure the achievement of outputs in line with the approved Annual Work Plan through the day-to-day planning, management and implementation of activities;
- Ensure full coordination, liaison, and communication between the contracted Responsible Parties for coherent design and complementary execution of projects at the community level.
Financial Management and Reporting
- Ensure accountability for, and efficient use of project funds;
- Manage and monitor requests for financial resources and ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Approve requisitions requests in Quantum, and ensure continues delivery updates to the Team Leader on financial delivery performance;
- Provide leadership in overseeing of effective provision of services to counterparts including fair and transparent procurement process, efficient logistics and sound financial management;
- Liaise with the Responsible Parties and other UNDP project staff on financial management of the project activities, including monitoring project financial expenditures and transactions;
- Ensure the integrity of financial system and, overseeing the administrative, financial and budgetary aspects of the project activities;
- Support the smooth audit of national partner institutions.
Building Strategic Partnerships and Resources Mobilization
- Engage in a constructive dialogue with partners in Yemen, the World Bank, and other stakeholders, especially to maximize consistency and synergy between the various support components, as informed by the priorities of the project document.
- Maintain dialogue with government officials, both local and national, civil society, partners, donors and communities to provide knowledge and understanding while ensuring accurate interpretation of the project objectives
- Support the creation of tools and communications materials to promote project objectives, establish contact as a focal person for project in support to the UNDP CO cooperation with the World Bank and other donors;
- Maintain relationships between the project and the donors through the Project Board and present a clear analysis of how their financial support has contributed to the results they requested and promote the institutional development efforts to new donors.
Results based management, monitoring and evaluation and reporting
- Provide support to the project team and the Responsible Parties on the achievement of specific results of the project as per the AWP;
- Coordinate the preparation of concept notes, project proposals, work plans, regular donor progress and impact reports for the project;
- Participate in all internal and external (coordination) meetings representing the project;
- Manage and monitor identified project risks and issues and update the status of these risks and issue;
- Plan and prioritize work activities to meet organizational goals; and organize and oversee work processes efficiently to achieve quality results;
- Ensure proper monitoring and evaluation procedures are instituted in all project activities and proper monitoring of project progress against annual and quarterly work plans and budgets;
- Facilitate proper monitoring of project inventory, attendance records, filing system.
- Undertake any other duties as may be required by the Team Leader
Knowledge building and management
- Promote cross-unit teamwork and skills development for the project team members through coaching and mentoring;
- Capture and disseminate lesson’s learned and best practices to contribute to learning on the project
- Participate in international knowledge networks and other fora to draw on best practice and lessons learned in other similar contexts to apply to Yemen.
Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment:
- Supporting gender mainstreaming throughout the project life cycle including design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure coordination and partnership with national gender mechanisms, women-led organizations, academies, networks, forums, etc;
- Support the institutional and technical capacity of the project team and stakeholders on gender equality and women’s empowerment as well as social safeguards aspects;
- Support the implementation and reporting of gender-responsive actions, and allocating the required resources ;
- Contribute to the country office communication, and knowledge management system on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions.
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”.
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
The person will report directly to the Project Manager.
- LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
Adapt with Agility
- LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
Act with Determination
- LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
Engage and Partner
- LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
- LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Direction & Strategy
Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritize plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
Business Direction & Strategy
Effective Decision Making
Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies.
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
-Ability to select, prioritize and control the organizations programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity; ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as-usual, while optimising return on investment
Audit & Investigation – General
Financial and Managerial Accounting and Finance key concepts
Key concepts and principles of financial accounting, interpret financial analysis, managerial accounting, etc.
Audit & Investigation – Audit
Fraud awareness and investigation techniques
Basic knowledge to understand the foundations of fraud, how to detect red flags and conduct initial fact findings
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Education requirements
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, or related field is required,
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Minimum years of relevant work experience
- Minimum 5 years (with master’s degree) or 7 years (with bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, and/or leading and managing projects
- Experience in the use of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and web-based management systems, and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Knowledge and experience in relevant thematic area.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
- Experience in working, liaising, and collaborating with UN agencies, governments, NGOs, civil society organizations, and public international organizations.
- Knowledge of capacity building theory and capacity building/assessment methodologies
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and oral.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.