About the role and team
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced intellectual property (IP) and technology lawyer to join our IP and Technology team within our Corporate & Commercial section in Melbourne.
Our Corporate & Commercial (C&C) team in Melbourne has approximately 30 staff members including 9 partners and 12 lawyers. The Hall & Wilcox IP and Technology team sits within the C&C team and is a well-established and growing practice that works across a broad range of intellectual property and technology matters. The IP and Technology team has 3 partners and approximately 7 other team members.
The successful candidate will work closely with the partners and lawyers in our IP and technology team. You will advise on a range of IP and technology related matters, such as trade mark and copyright matters (both contentious and non-contentious), IP commercialisation matters, technology contracting, procurement contracts, commercial contracts as well as competition and consumer law matters.
You will be involved in a variety of matters including:
- trade mark matters including advice, filing and registrations, disputes/oppositions and licensing;
- intellectual property commercialisation and licensing, including technology commercialisation agreements, patent licensing and plant variety licensing, joint ventures and other commercialisation structures;
- disputes/litigation, including both enforcing and defending IP infringements and related actions;
- privacy and competition and consumer law;
- IT and technology contracts including technology procurement and project agreements, SaaS agreements, software licensing and support agreements and technology outsourcing agreements; and
- commercial contracts.
This is a hands-on role which provides the opportunity to work with interesting clients. This is a well-established and growing team, which has a solid client base across various industries including infrastructure, financial services, FMCG, automotive, sports & entertainment and agribusiness. The work is challenging, complex, and rewarding, and provides significant learning and development opportunities.
Skills and experience
We are keen to hear from candidates with the following skills and experience:
- 2 – 4 years of post-admission experience in IP and technology, including both advisory and contentious in nature;
- ideally experience gained from a large national or international law firm or a recognised specialist IP/IT law firm;
- technical excellence with outstanding attention to detail;
- commercially savvy; and
- a team player and critical thinker with a can-do approach.
Hall & Wilcox is a leading independent Australian law firm. We are a firm of more than 1000 people, including over 130 partners, delivering outstanding legal services to corporate, public sector and private clients, both Australian-based and those offshore doing business in Australia. Our purpose is to enable our clients, our people and our communities to thrive.
Some of our recent awards and citations include:
- Law Firm of the Year at the 2022 and 2023 Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards;
- Law Firm of the Year (101-500 Lawyers) and Diversity Initiative of the Year at the 2022 Australasian Law Awards;
- Ranked third in the Lawyers Weekly Top 25 Attraction Firms for 2022 and 2023;
- Employer of Choice Gender Equality citation from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) for 2021, 2022 and 2023; and
- Best Law and Related Services Firm ($100m-$200m revenue) and Best Professional Services Firm ($100m-$200m revenue) at the 2023 Client Choice Awards.
We are known for having a great culture that is warm and welcoming, progressive, inclusive and supportive, and that is underpinned by our enduring values – known as Hallmarks.
We are also renowned for Smarter Law, which means we look beyond the status quo to think differently and find solutions that are better and faster.
At Hall & Wilcox, we promote a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and value unique contributions of all people. We encourage applications from candidates of all cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates.
For more information about Hall & Wilcox please visit our website.
How to apply
Please click apply to submit an application.
We are committed to being inclusive, and to supporting candidates with disability so that every candidate is offered a fair, equitable and supportive recruitment experience. If you require any support to complete your application, or if you have any questions, please contact Sally Cai, Talent Acquisition Co-ordinator at [email protected]
This vacancy is being managed directly by the Hall & Wilcox Talent Acquisition / People & Culture team. We will contact our preferred agency partners should we require any assistance.