Organizational unit: UNESCO Myanmar Project Office
Duty Station: Yangon, Myanmar
Title: International Consultant (Senior Level) – Communication and Information
Duration of the contract: 11 months (February – December 2023)
Start Date: 1 February 2023
UNESCO works to create an enabling environment for a free, independent and pluralistic media by promoting and protecting freedom of expression, safety of journalists, access to information and fostering a media and information literate society. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, under Goal 16, recognizes the importance of “access to information, fundamental freedoms and the safety of journalists for the creation of peaceful, just and inclusive societies”. The projects “Preventing hate speech and promoting peaceful society through Media and Information Literacy” and “Multi Donor Programme on Freedom of Expression and Safety of Journalists” aim to help facilitate UNESCO’s work in the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The UNESCO office in Myanmar is working with a wide range of stakeholders, including the international and local media development organizations, local CSOs and CBOs, journalists and media associations, on a series of activities to promote the freedom of expression and access to information. The activities include awareness raising on freedom of expression and safety of journalists, capacity building programmes and multimedia campaigns to promote Media and Information Literacy and advocacy for the development of Community Media in Myanmar. UNESCO also supports to strengthen the capacity of journalist regarding reporting on ethnic, cultural and religious issues, strengthen the capacity of community media to promote diversity and pluralism, enhance the awareness and dialogue on diversity, discrimination and pluralism of youth and women, and peace education as intersectoral activities.
- Work Assignment:
The Individual Consultant shall perform the tasks the direct supervision of the Head of UNESCO Myanmar Project Office, and in close collaboration with the UNESCO Communication and Information unit in Myanmar. The Individual consultant’s responsibilities include the following:
- Provide technical assistance in drafting concept notes, terms of reference, press releases, publications regarding the activities regarding Freedom of Expression, Press Freedom, Safety of Journalists, preventing hate speech and promoting peaceful society through Media and Information Literacy project.
- Dialogues, meetings, workshops, trainings and other activities to strengthen the safety of journalists;
- Dialogues, meetings, workshops and other activities to support the key stakeholders and partners;
- Dialogues, meetings, workshops, trainings and other activities related to development and sustainability of community media;
- Dialogues, meetings, workshops, trainings and other activities related to Media and Information Literacy (MIL), information disorder and hate speech;
- Dialogues, meetings, workshops, trainings and other activities related to promoting peaceful society, diversity, inclusiveness and tolerance by collaborating with local CSOs/CBOs.
- Consultation meetings with relevant stakeholders and partners to promote collaboration and coordination for the implementation activities.
- Commemoration of the World Press Freedom Day (WPFD), International Day for Universal Access to Information (IDUAI), International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists (IDEI), World Radio Day (WRD), Global MIL Week and any other related campaigns and events.
- Provide technical assistance and support in organizing the following activities, and develop monitoring tools based on the M&E Plan and Guidance.
- Provide technical advice and assistance for quality control of project partner’s deliverables regarding the safety of journalists;
- Provide technical expertise and share knowledge on Safety of Journalists. The presentation will focus on specific laws and regulations relevant to journalists’ safety in Myanmar and methods to ensure journalists’ safety in daily practice;
- Provide technical expertise and share knowledge at forums regarding the development and sustainability of community media, including at the workshops on community media with relevant partners. The presentation will focus on the role of community radio in development within the context of Myanmar and the provisions in the Broadcasting Law (2015) and its By-Law (2020) for community media;
- Provide technical advice in formation of Community Media Support Network in Myanmar and review the advocacy and action plan of the network;
- Provide technical advice on the research to support on the promotion awareness and dialogue through multimedia outreach targeting a diverse range of youth and women in order to enhance access to media outputs and education promoting diversity, inclusion and peace.
- Provide technical advice to support the capacity building plans/strategy and lead the provision of training to community media, women/ youth groups and educators/teachers to promote inclusion and diversity.
- Provide technical expertise and support on the activities related with enhancing collaboration and dialogue between civil society and media organizations to foster inclusion and diversity.
- Provide technical expertise and share knowledge at the seminars on Countering Information Disorder and Hate Speech through MIL to be organized with government ministries or relevant partners.
- Work closely with CI team to design and prepare work plans for next stages of the Multi Donor Programme and Peacebuilding fund’s activities and facilitate resource mobilization efforts through cooperation and partnerships.
- An action plan describing the concrete activities that will undertake in 2022. These activities shall include advocacy efforts vis-à-vis duty bearers concerning the role of journalists and the importance of the media on the road to democracy. Further, the action plan shall include activities to mobilize peer journalists and gather their support for the issue of journalists’ safety;
- The next stages to enhance the role of media and strengthen media self-regulation related to freedom of expression online and offline;
- The next stages to focus on the legislative environment and key regulation for the establishment of sustainable community media. It shall be based on regulation currently in place and include recommendations for regulatory change integrating the advocacy and action plan of the community media support network;
- The next stages to promote Media and Information Literacy in Myanmar.
- Prepare relevant background/technical information (eg: Brief notes) of the programs for use during donor visit or audit process.
- Support Head of Office and CI team in the development of proposals and budgets and finding funding opportunities.
Note: Due to COVID-19 pandemic and political situation, a degree of flexibility is needed to allow for amendment of the contract deliverables, travel and requisite payment. The participation at the consultation meetings, dialogues, trainings may be in person or through virtual conferencing depending on the COVID-19 pandemic and political situation in Myanmar and the availability of the Individual Specialist.
II. Deliverables and timeline:
The Individual Specialist is required to provide, in addition to PDF files, the source documents and
the editable version (such as Microsoft Word editable files) of the deliverables to UNESCO, who is
the owner of all the deliverables.
- Monthly progress reports outlining activities undertaken and achievements related to the work assignments by the last working day of each month between February and December 2023 including:
- Progress made in work assignment-1, along with the final concept notes or terms of reference or press releases drafted;
- Progress made in work assignment-2, along with the documents related to technical expertise and support;
- Progress made in work assignment -3, along with the proposed work plans for next stages of the Multi Donor Programme.
- A final report summarizing the activities carried out, achievements and lessons learnt during the contract period by 22th December 2023.
- A mission report, indicating the purpose of the mission, main activities including what was done during the mission, persons met and main points discussed, outcomes of the mission and follow up action points, is required to be submitted within two weeks after the end of each mission. All supporting travel documents (such as original boarding passes, original visa fee receipts, UNDSS security clearance) of official travel undertaken for reimbursement after each approved mission.
In line with UNESCO’s overall gender mainstreaming strategy, the Individual Specialist is expected to integrate a gender perspective in all activities and apply gender analysis and mainstreaming concepts
IV. Location and travel:
- The Individual Specialist will be provided with a round-trip economy class air ticket between his/her place of origin and Yangon (Myanmar); and round-trip economy class air ticket between Yangon, Myanmar, and Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar if there is any mission to Nay Pyi Taw; in addition to the terminal fares as per UNESCO rules and regulations.
- During the contract period, the Individual Specialist’s necessary visa and stay permit fees will be reimbursed by UNESCO.
- For all missions, airfares, daily subsistence allowance (DSA) and terminal fares within the context of the assignments will be reimbursed by UNESCO as per UNESCO rules and regulations.
- The Individual Specialist is responsible for obtaining UNDSS security clearance prior to each approved mission.
- After each approved mission is undertaken, the Individual Specialist will submit the necessary supporting documents such as UNDSS security clearance, original boarding passes bearing the name of the Individual Specialist and flight ticket receipts for reimbursement.
V. Duration of contract
From 1st February to 31st December 2023
- Master Degree in the field of communication, information science, social science, media, management or related areas.
- Minimum eight (8) years of relevant experience preferably in the field of communication and information.
- Strong ability and prior experience working in media development in the Asia-Pacific Region, in particular in the development and support of media initiatives related to freedom of expression, right to information, journalists’ safety, community media and media and information literacy.
- Track record in facilitating workshops, dialogues and seminars focused on freedom of expression, right to information, journalists’ safety, community media and media and information literacy.
- Familiar with Myanmar’s media landscape, including knowledge on the existing media houses and journalists’ associations and organizations.
- Strong expertise and demonstrated experience in developing action plans and advocacy strategies aimed at mobilizing donor support for media development initiatives.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit in writing to UNESCO Myanmar Project Office:
- A cover letter in English clearly referencing “International Consultant (Senior Level) – Communication and Information”, indicating how your qualifications and experience make you suitable for the assignment;
- The methodology and approaches to be adopted to carry out the assignment and expected fee;
- A writing sample in English, ideally a sample action plan or advocacy strategy related to media development. An up-to-date CV, with contact details including telephone numbers and email address;
- Contact details including telephone numbers and email addresses of three referees. UNESCO places great emphasis on ensuring that the objectives of the work assignment, as described in the Terms of Reference, are met. Accordingly, in evaluating the proposals for the assignment, attention will focus first and foremost on the technical elements. From those proposals deemed suitable in terms of the criteria in the Terms of Reference, UNESCO shall select the proposal that offers the Organization best value for money.
- Please include your expected monthly professional fee in your application.
Your application should reach [email protected] no later than 17:00 (Yangon time) on 13th January 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.