The Office of the UN World Food Programme (WFP) Accra invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the vacancy below.
Job Title : Driver
Duration : 1 year (renewable)
Post Grade : G3
Duty Station : Accra
• To provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Business Support Associate and overall supervision of the Head of Support Services , the Driver will be responsible for the following duties.
• Provide transportation to senior WFP staff, high ranking UN officials and visitors including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and the delivery and collection of various items following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
• Plan and assign the routes and schedules for other Drivers, to support efficient transportrelated services for clients.
• Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities, to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorised destinations.
• Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
• Efficiently plan and coordinate WFP vehicle maintenance to ensure vehicles are fully equipped with required travel authorisations and supplies, assigned equipment on board is in a good condition to support safe and efficient services.
• Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
• Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required including mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills, to ensure administrative support to clients.
Qualification Required & Experience
Minimum Academic Qualifications Guide
• Completion of secondary school education/Middle School Leaving Certificate, Formal driver training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicles following local rules and regulations.
Desired Experiences for entry into the role:
• Three or more years of work experience as a Driver, preferably in an international organization, embassy, or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record.
• Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks, and other kinds of motorized vehicles. Experience in defensive driving is desirable.
Knowledge and Skills
• Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads/waterways and conditions, and security issues.
• Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
• Knowledge of driving/boat operating rules and regulations whichever is applicable.
• Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.).
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
• Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone, and other applications.
• Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
• Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, and tact.
Language: Fluency in English language is essential. Knowledge of local languages spoken in northern Ghana will be an advantage.