Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community.
The VP of Strategic Communications will be responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive communications and marketing strategies to promote our mission, enhance our brand and global reach, communicate our priority strategies, programmatic results and thought leadership and drive engagement with our key stakeholders.
The VP of Strategic Communications will lead efforts to develop Global Communities’ brand position as a leader in our market segment and work to increase the reputation of and commitment to Global Communities both externally and internally. This role requires a deep understanding of brand positioning, an understanding of the international development and humanitarian ecosystem, strong leadership skills and an ability to navigate and adapt to diverse cultural contexts.
The VP of Strategic Communications will work with Global Communities’ senior leaders to align messaging and ensure an integrated approach to our marketing and communications to reinforce and elevate Global Communities’ brand identity and thought leadership.
Integrated Strategic Communications
The VP Strategic Communications will ensure an integrated strategic communications approach to drive brand awareness, positioning, and messaging to support organizational objectives and development and execution of multi-platform creative marketing campaigns to reach target audiences with Global Communities’ messages, using data analytics to track progress and adjust strategies as needed. The VP Strategic Communications will, for example:
- Lead the development, ongoing management, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s overall brand strategy and content development to attract and connect external and internal constituents with our vision, mission, and values.
- Assess brand visibility, effectiveness, and coherence through regular engagement with priority audiences; identify challenges and develop strategies to refresh, adapt, or correct brand management and integrated communications strategies as needed.
- Lead collaborative process with technical leaders to co-create focused marketing campaigns.
- Collaborate with Global Programs leadership to ensure that overall brand and marketing strategies are in alignment and in support of Global Communities’ fundraising and resource mobilization efforts and 2030 Vision for growth.
- Oversee the effective functioning of digital properties, the global production and effective dissemination of dynamic marketing materials and multi-platform, multimedia content in support of Global Communities’ brand and strategic communication objectives
Media Relations & Crisis Communications
- Oversees implementation of a media relations strategy which promotes Global Communities’ work to specialist and mainstream media in support of organizational objectives.
- Develop and oversee deployment of strategies to minimize the possibility of negative press and manage negative stories should they arise, responding where necessary.
- Advise Executive leadership and Senior Management Team on media management.
- Maintain and update Global Communities’ crisis communications policy, and associated resources to respond to crises.
- Function as chief spokesperson of Global Communities in the media and in the event of a crisis, lead the public response with the Executive Team.
Public Engagement & Thought Leadership
- Lead the development of Global Communities’ public engagement strategy in support of the organization’s brand and organizational growth targets.
- In collaboration with other senior leaders, the VP Strategic Communications accountable for identifying priority stakeholders and networks and overseeing the development and implementation of effective relationship management, engagement, and development strategies with each, in support of organizational goals.
- Lead outreach to Congressional staffers, committees, and members; think tanks, peer groups, coordination fora, and advocacy groups, where appropriate.
- Oversee the organization’s engagement in memberships, public events, including placing Global Communities experts on panels and public fora, and overseeing efforts to collaborate with Global Programs leadership to highlight Global Communities’ work at public events, ensuring that public presentations and engagement are on-brand and advance organizational goals.
Executive and Internal Communications
- Ensure support to Global Communities’ President and CEO with Executive Communications such as speeches, panel discussions, travel to Global Communities’ offices, media interviews and public appearances.
- Review and clear talking points, background briefings, frequently asked questions and other materials for Global Communities Executive Leadership and Senior Executive Team to support their internal and external communications and outreach, ensuring the messaging is aligned with the organization’s identity, communications strategy, and organizational policies.
- Serve as the Executive Sponsor of the cross-departmental effort to redesign the global Intranet (SharePoint) which includes Information Technology and Global Programs Knowledge Management, supporting a robust, high-functioning internal digital platform and coordinating internal and external resources for design, development, and launch.
- Oversee the development and delivery of internal training and capacity-building to enhance communications skills and ensure consistent application of brand standards across the organization.
People & Budget Management
- Lead and manage the communications team, ensuring clear goals and accountabilities are established and achieved.
- Responsible for overseeing the organization’s communications budget, ensuring that resources are utilized effectively, strategically, and accountably.
- Support organizational efforts in adopting emerging technology and digital communications platforms, including generative AI.
POSITION SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Minimum of 10% Domestic and/or International Travel, which may include high risk locations.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Proven ability to lead, manage and develop staff and projects, among shifting priorities and deadline pressures.
- The ability to clearly articulate and successfully translate strategy into results.
- Ability to manage and communicate effectively in writing and speech to a wide range of stakeholders-including press, policymakers, corporations, technical experts, funders, and the public.
- Familiarity with AI, emerging technology, and communications platforms.
- Proven track record of building and executing strategic marketing plans to diverse target audiences in order to meet and/or exceed organizational growth and revenue targets.
- Ability to handle difficult situations with diplomacy, sensitivity and tact.
- Robust experience in the international development sector, U.S. foreign policy or the global media environment.
- Fluency in English, written and oral; proven impeccable editing skills and written and oral communication.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline and a minimum of 15 years of related work experience or a minimum of 20 years of related work experience.
- A master’s degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum of 13 years of experience preferred.
- Minimum 13 years of experience in communications, public affairs and/or related disciplines preferred.
- Minimum five years of non-profit and international development experience preferred.
- Minimum five years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities
Additional Information & Application Method
Interested applicants should: