Company: mothers2mothers (m2m)
State: Jobs in Accra
Job type: Full-Time
Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across eight sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower HIV-positive women to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 10,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Senior Programme Officer
The Senior Programme Officer (SPO) will be responsible for the day-to-day planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of direct service delivery activities at m2m project site(s) including health facilities and community geolocations, and work closely with the Programme Director in the evolution of m2m’s technical programming in Ghana, including regular monitoring of programme performance and progress reporting. The SPO will directly manage site staff (Facility and Community Mentor Mothers) and ensure that direct service delivery activities meet established quality standards. S/he will serve as the programme liaison with local government, partners, health facility staff, community leaders, and other stakeholders for programme success. This position will be based in Accra, and report to the Program Director.
Key Performance Areas;
Programme Design, Implementation, and QA/QI
• Support Program Director in designing and refining m2m’s programme toolkit (e.g., logic model, training package, operating model.
• Lead and provide supportive supervision, technical support, and mentorship to Facility and Community Mentor Mothers (site staff) on m2m programme standards.
• Based on identified quality gaps, initiate the development of relevant standard operating procedures (SOPs) and improvement plans for programme implementation. Design quality assurance/quality improvement (QA/QI) interventions based on supportive supervision results and programme performance reports, and institute remedial actions
• Lead site staff recruitment, working with local health facility staff and community stakeholders
• In consultation with site staff, plan and coordinate site-based programme activities in health facility and communities
• Plan and coordinate donor, head office personnel, Ministry of Health, and other implementing partner site visits.
• Develop project workplans, presentations, and reports
• Document and share success stories, learnings, and best practices with other m2m implementing countries, and other stakeholders in Ghana’s health sector
Monitoring and Evaluation
• With M&E Officer and Program Director, set and monitor progress against programme targets
• Collaborate and support M&E Officer to ensure data and reporting quality.
• Support the site-level use of m2m quality improvement and strategic management tools, both paper and electronic.
• Oversee entry of programme data, generated monthly at the health facility level, into relevant systems.
• Conduct data quality audits on a month-to-month basis in DHIS2 as per existing Standard Operating Procedures
• Extract data from DHIS2 for report writing and programme performance reviews when required.
• Support routine programme evaluation activities as required.
• Conduct site-level routine supportive supervision, mentorship and monitoring activities on both programme and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) functions with support from the M&E Officer.
Training and Capacity Building
• Conduct training needs assessments.
• Plan, coordinate, and facilitate pre-service and in-service trainings
• Conduct ongoing capacity building with site staff for application of skills learned in training, and incorporation of new guidelines and developments in the field
• Provide ongoing mentorship to site staff on usage of mHealth applications
Human Resource Management
• Line manage site staff, including routine supervision and performance appraisals, approval and tracking of annual leaves, disciplinary management, and application of wellness framework.
• Live and promote m2m values including integrity, honesty, dedication, empathy, compassion and teamwork among m2m staff.
• Prepare purchase requisitions for programme related materials (M&E tools, site supplies, etc.)
• Ensure prudent use of m2m’s resources at project sites. Provide inputs, based on activity plans, to inform budgets and routine expenditure forecasting.
• Take minutes of programme related meetings.
• Monitor and report on any safety and security related incidents involving site staff.
Stakeholder Engagement and Representation
• Develop and periodically update stakeholder matrix.
• Support Program Director to manage external relationships with stakeholders where required.
• Represent m2m at facility and technical meetings and forums. Where requested, represent m2m at state and national level events.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the line manager.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Minimum bachelor’s degree or its equivalent Clinical Medicine, Nursing, Social Science, Public Health or related field
• Minimum of seven years’ field experience in public health work with a focus on Reproductive Maternal Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH), HIV/AIDS programming, and/or primary health care (PHC)
• Strong technical knowledge of RMNCH/HIV/PHC/ECD
• Experience with managing teams of staff, especially community health workers. Experience in on-site technical supervision using programmatic tools.
• Experience in the implementation and management of M&E systems, involving capacity building for site-level staff, as well as monitoring and promotion of data quality and use of data for decision making and quality improvement.
• Experience with programmatic and report.
• Experience in data management, including data entry and extraction of reports, and in writing programme reports
• Demonstrated knowledge of/exposure to relevant policies and guidelines
• Experience with mobile health (mHealth) applications strongly preferred.
• Strong experience working within state and local health systems in Ghana, with lay health care workers and peer educators preferred. Experience working with government, donors, and non-governmental organisations at state and local level.
• Demonstrated experience developing donor/project reports, workplans, and proposals.
• Experience coordinating cross-organisational processes.
• Ability to lead, motivate, mentor and coach team.
• Ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and meet tight/competing deadlines independently with sound decision making.
• Self-motivated, analytical skills, team player and results-oriented.
• Ability to take initiative, work independently and problem solve to meet deliverables
• Ability to negotiate and navigate sensitive situations. Cultural sensitivity.
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Ability to simplify and communicate technical issues for lay health cadres.
• Computer literate (MS Office suite).
• Fluent in English and local language of the area.
• Valid driver’s licence
Method of Application
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Closing Date: 01 December, 2023
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.