Hardship Level: A (least hardship)
Family Type: Family
Family Type: Family
Residential location (if applicable): Grade: GS7
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: General Service
Reason: Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted: No
Target Start Date: 2023-07-16
Job Posting End Date: June 15, 2023
Standard Job Description: Senior Programme Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Programme Associate would normally receive guidance from more senior programme staff in the operation/bureau/division. The incumbent normally supervises some support staff. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/region programme(s). UNHCR Manual/Programme Chapter, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Senior Programme Associate. S/he is expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed to the region by the operational context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
The incumbent is expected to have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to collect information, monitor programme activities and implement administrative requirements. The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach as defined within the Program Chapter, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support the assessment and analysis of the needs of persons of concern in the country in a participatory manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective as basis for planning.
- Support Results Based management and programme capacity in light of evolving requirements, programming approaches and gaps.
- Participate in managing the development of a broad network of partners, good coordination practices and the development of partner capacities related to programme management.
- Assist in organizing and documenting the selection of partners in accordance with the policy on selection and retention of partners, ensuring due diligence to meet the requirements of projects.
- Support partnership agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on in compliance with established guidelines and procedures included in the framework for implementing with partners.
- Review the implementation and performance of partnership agreements through field visits and appropriate physical monitoring if applicable, reviewing work plans, performance and financial reports.
- Support the planning process in compliance with planning parameters outlined in the Programme Manual and annual planning instructions.
- Contribute to the review and analysis of operations plans, mid-year and year-end reports, ensuring quality assurance and compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards. Generate and maintain records of implementation rate (performance progress and expenditures) on a regular basis.
- Follow up on any change in regards to alignment of results chain, verifying indicators, budget, prioritization, apportioning needed to measure programme performance, trends and target interventions, contributing to soundness of Operations Plan and enhancement of data quality.
- Assist in negotiating and drafting partnership agreements, ensuring that all components are developed in conformity with UNHCR’s financial rules and HQ instructions and guidance.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of MFT monitoring plans for activities implemented through partnerships and those under direct implementation in line with Programme Manual and programming instructions.
- Ensure compliance with issuance of audit certificates for partners in line with the Policy on Risk-Based Project Audits and follow up of internal and external audit recommendations related to programmatic issues.
- Use UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Focus Client, Global Focus Insight and FOCUS Reader, MSRP) for core activities related to planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting, generating data for evidence-based programmatic decisions and analysis.
- Actively contribute to UNHCRs programming of community of practice and continuously contributing to improvements of programming tools and processes.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 – 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Demonstrated experience in programme management, Operation Management Cycle and related processes. Knowledge and practical experience of Results Based-Management. Experience in programme management training and capacity building activities. Knowledge of MS office applications including advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, data management, etc.).
Completion of UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to function of the position including Programme Management ‘ Level 1, E-tutoring of PM1, Framework for Implementing with Partners Learning Programme.
PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
PG-Development and monitoring of programme assessments and surveys
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile: The candidate should have excellent knowledge in excel and PowerBI
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):: ,
Desired languages: ,
Operational context: Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:: Nature of Position:: Living and Working Conditions:: Additional Qualifications: Skills
DM-Database Management, IT-Computer Literacy, PG-Development and monitoring of programme assessments and surveys, PG-Programme Analysis, PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards), PG-Results-Based ManagementEducation
Competencies: Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing performance, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator: https://icsc.un.org/Home/SalaryScales
Compendium: Additional Information: The incumbent of the position will assist the Snr Prog. Off. in the donor porto-folio and will be responsible for updating the funding matrix on a regular basis. He /She should also have an excellent drafting skills.