Position Title: Project Officer (IBG)
Duty Station: Islamabad, Pakistan
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 23 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Pakistan has been working to address challenges in the humanitarian-development-peace nexus towards ensuring that the Government of Pakistan can effectively manage its borders in accordance with its priorities. IOM Pakistan is implementing a range of activities to address migratory challenges and strengthen operational capacities of border management authorities and agencies through a comprehensive migration management and integrated border management approach.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and direct supervision of the Senior Programme Manager (IBG), the Project Manager (IBG) will be responsible for the management, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of immigration and border management activities and projects in Pakistan.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the Immigration and Border Governance (IBG) programmes/ projects in Pakistan in atimely manner, being responsible for the financial, administrative and technical backstopping of the projects, in line with IOM’s policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
- Supervise the IBG team in implementing activities, in reporting, monitoring and evaluation and identify and implement improvements in project delivery and coordination.
- Plan, coordinate and monitor projects for achievement of activities and results, in close coordination with the relevant colleagues, and prepare and coordinate regular project reports in a timely manner.
- Develop and manage appropriate monitoring tools to ensure effective design and implementation of projects and activities, including regular travels to field locations as required. Support Senior Programme Manager (IBG) in establishing and maintaining continuous dialogue and relations with relevant stakeholders including national government authorities, donors, UN Agencies and national and international organizations.
- With guidance from Senior Programme Manager (IBG) and in accordance with IOM’s procedures and regulations, ensure the timely recruitment and briefing of project staff, consultants and/or experts required for the implementation of the project activities and provide guidance to ensure that a cohesive methodology is maintained for the achievement of migration and border management activities.
- Enhance IOM’s capacity to provide policy advice and technical expertise on relevant thematic areas, including but not limited to counter human trafficking, counter migrant smuggling, border and development initiatives and Humanitarian Border Management (HBM).
- Coordinate related technical country assessments and mapping exercise; development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); adjustment translation or development of technical toolkits or handbooks; provision of legal and/ or policy advice; baseline assessments with recommendations; and any of the modalities of proactive support actions.
- Design and deliver training and presentations in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the provision of technical expertise on the Immigration and Border Governance (IBG) thematic area, as requested.
- Prepare agendas, concept notes and invitation letters for technical and high level workshops,trainings, conferences, study tours and international dialogue events and oversee the organization and logistic arrangements for such events to take place.
- Provide technical advice on the expansion of the IBM portfolio and support the mission developing new projects and in fund raising initiatives.
- Represent IOM in relevant conferences, workshops, policy and technical working groups including outcome groups of UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), as well as other forums to ensure proper coordination, presentation and promotion of IOM activities, as required.
- Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Law, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience
- Proven experience in immigration and border management including border management technologies, travel and identity documents examination;
- Proven experience in project management, implementation, development, analysis and evaluation, budget planning and monitoring, and report writing;
- Experience in supervising staff and coordinating administrative matters;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/ international institutions, regional organizations, NGOs and donors.
- Effective communication skills and ability to maintain professional working relationships with government authorities, national and international organizations as well as programme/ project partners;
- Excellent writing, reporting and analytical skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Fluency in Urdu is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 February 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 10.02.2023 to 23.02.2023 No Fees:
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 36 Project Officer (IBG) (P3) Islamabad, Pakistan (57966609) Released