Hardship Level: E (most hardship)
Family Type: Non Family
Family Type: Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable): Grade: GS6
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: General Service
Reason: Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted: No
Target Start Date: 2023-05-01
Job Posting End Date: April 22, 2023
Standard Job Description: Project Control Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The primary functions of project control are to complement programme management and provide support for oversight of projects including the formulation of a monitoring plan, quality assurance, and verification. Other activities of project control include: review of project agreements, project audit, monitoring that there is synchrony between financial and operational performance, participation in multi-functional monitoring activities and reviews, tracking project risk management, and supporting project closure.
It is essential to maintain segregation of duties between project control and programme functions for effective accountability and oversight. Where there is no Project Control Officer, General Service staff performing project control functions should report directly to the Head of Office.
The Project Control Associate receives general guidance and work plans from the supervisor. They work independently on regular assignments under the supervision of the Project Control Officer or to the same management level as programme. The incumbent may supervise other general service staff.
Project Control staff play a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and often interact with implementing partners. As a result, incumbents need to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to reviewing the internal control systems of implementing partners.
- Contribute to reviewing that IP agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Monitor that a complete record is maintained for all projects.
- Contribute to reviewing, analysing and verifying Financial and Performance Implementing Partner Reports (Part I-IPFR and Part II-IPR), and to checking accuracy and consistency between IPFR and IPR, in accordance with project agreements.
- Ensure that the funds obligated under an IP agreement permit the payment of the next instalment or a disbursement, confirming the status of instalments already paid.
- Support timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Bring to the attention of supervisors and programme officers any significant variances at the office level in: budget execution, percentage of project execution, time schedule, and quality of projects against specifications or terms and conditions.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Keep up to date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
- Escalate IP issues to supervisors.
- Recommend acceptance or non-acceptance of IPRs and payment of instalments.
- Contact implementing partners for project related matters.
- Have unlimited access to financial and operational records relating to projects.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
FI-Financial Accrual Accounting under internationally accepted standards (IFRS,IPSAS,etc)
IT-ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Functional Knowledge
IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile: Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):: ,
Desired languages: ,
Operational context: Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:: Nature of Position:: Living and Working Conditions:: Additional Qualifications: Skills
FI-Financial Accrual Accounting under internationally accepted standards (IFRS,IPSAS,etc), FI-Financial auditing, IT-Computer Literacy, IT-ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Functional Knowledge, IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software, MG-Project Management, PM-Project Assurance, RM-Risk ManagementEducation
Accounting – Other, Auditing – Other, Business Administration – Other, Finance – Other, Project Management – OtherWork Experience
Competencies: Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Judgement & decision making, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Political awareness, Teamwork & collaboration