Private Finance Senior Specialist or Specialist – Kingston, Jamaica
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
About this position
We are looking for a dynamic individual to lead operations as part of its Investment Unit team in Jamaica.
You will work in the Investment Unit (INV) at IDB Lab is the unit responsible for originating and managing the portfolio of reimbursable operations (equity and debt). IDB Lab Investment Unit has a systemic role of filling key funding gaps, bridging key connections in different fields (e.g. public and private), and mobilizing key ecosystem resources to support specific ventures with outstanding socioeconomic or environmental impact potential. IDB Lab adds relevant value to those ventures during their business consolidation and expansion and fosters their impact toward solving some of the most pressing development and inclusion challenges of different sectors in LAC (Fintech, Edtech, Healthtech, Agtech/Biotech, etc.).
What you’ll do:
The main functions of the Senior Investment Specialist will be to:
- Identify, originate, and design innovative financial operations (equity in venture capital funds, quasi-equity, and equity in early-stage companies and lending to early-stage companies), including the execution of due diligence, financial modeling and analysis, and financial, credit, and market risk analysis.
- Oversee and provide technical advice to IDB Lab’s portfolio, consisting of equity investments (in venture capital funds and direct investments), and loans, so that they achieve the development objectives (impact, innovation), while also generating expected financial returns.
- Serve as a focal point for all INV activities in the Caribbean to ensure IDB Lab gains more relevance in the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the region.
- In coordination with IDB Representatives in the Caribbean, collaborate and lead local innovation-related initiatives in the country with other IDB and IDB Invest colleagues.
What you’ll need
- Education: Master’s degree (in areas related to Finance, Business, or related field).
- Experience: five years or more of proven experience in the finance industry, lending or venture investments. Successful experience working in finance, lending, or equity investments. Ability to lead screening and comparing investment opportunities, conducting Due Diligence, negotiating terms and closing the deal.
- Languages: Proficient in English. Spanish would be an asset.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills with strong attention to detail and strong financial modeling/valuation skills.
- Strong organization and writing skills.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusion and diversity in the workplace.
- The candidate should also be motivated and highly effective in a team environment.
- Learn continuously
- Collaborate and share knowledge
- Focus on clients
- Communicate and influence
- Innovate and try new things
- Citizenship: You are either a citizen of Jamaica or a citizen of one of our 48 member countries with residency or a legal permit to work in Jamaica.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
- If consultant (Local Remote Modality): The selected candidate will not provide services from the Bank’s office and will not be provided a physical space on the premises of the Bank’s Country Office. The candidate selected will be responsible for setting up the space, and for having the equipment, internet, and phone accesses to accomplish these TORs, outside the Bank’s office. Access to the Bank’s systems will be arranged in coordination with the Bank.
- COVID-19 considerations: the health and safety of our employees are our number one priority. As a condition of employment, IDB/IDB Invest requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Type of contract and duration
- National staff contract, 36 months initially, renewable upon mutual agreement.
What we offer
The IDB Group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package
- Leaves and vacations: 24 days of paid time off + 8 personal days + sick leave + gender-neutral parental leave
- Health Insurance: IDB Group provides employees and eligible dependents with a robust medical benefits program that covers medical, dental, vision, preventive care, and prescription drugs.
- Pension plan: pre-defined pension plan that provides financial security and supports employees in planning for their future.
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules
- Health and well-being: Access to our Health Services Center which provides preventive care and health education for employees.
- Development support: We offer tools to boost your professional profile such as mentoring, 1:1 professional counseling, training, and learning opportunities, language classes, and mobility options, among others.
At the IDB Group, we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at [email protected] to request a reasonable accommodation to complete this application. Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
About IDB Lab IDB Lab is the innovation laboratory of the IDB Group, the leading source of development finance and expertise for improving lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. The purpose of IDB Lab is to drive innovation for inclusion in the region, mobilizing financing, knowledge, and connections to test early-stage private sector solutions with the potential to transform the lives of vulnerable populations affected by economic, social, and environmental conditions. Since 1993, IDB Lab has approved more than US$ 2 billion in projects deployed across 26 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Follow us: https://www.linkedin.com/company/idblab/ https://www.facebook.com/IDBLab https://twitter.com/IDB_Lab
- External Opening Date: Feb 15, 2023
- External Closing Date: Mar 15, 2023
- External Contact Email: [email protected]
- Job Field: Private Finance Operations