- Company: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
• Under the general supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, the direct supervision of the Operations Associate, the Operations Assistant (Movements) is responsible for undertaking movements activities, with the following duties and responsibilities:
• Coordinate, schedule, and book travel(ticket) for individuals upon receipt of travel-ready status and/or request in accordance with travel requirements, including but not limited to the distribution of Advance Booking Notifications (ABNs), updates, domestic flights, cancellations, and departure notifications.
• Organize and complete all flight bookings in Amadeus in a timely manner and in accordance with the Handbook of IOM Tariffs (HIT) and standard operating procedures (SOPs) from the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM). Under the supervision of the Operations Associate, distribute travel information to internal and external stakeholders.
• Compile and analyze descriptive statistics using an Integrated Global Airline Ticket Order Record (i-GATOR) to capture costs and prepare travel loan paperwork as specified in SOPs and in accordance with the host government’s procedures.
• Create movement data files by ABN for all individuals in accordance with SOPs and for IOM accountability.
• In accordance with local practices and RMM(Resettlement & Movement Management) guidelines and standards, and in close coordination with supervisors, identify and assign escorts to accompany vulnerable individuals.
• In coordination with Operations Associate, process exit permission paperwork and ICRC Travel Documents (emergency travel documents for humanitarian purposes) in accordance with established standards and local guidelines.
• Conduct identity and document verification prior to the distribution of travel documentation to refugees, immigrants, and migrants.
• Conduct pre-departure counselling on pre-embarkation procedures and special needs during travel (such as meals, medication, wheelchairs, and medical conditions) as needed. Identify beneficiary vulnerabilities and coordinate appropriate action to ensure they are addressed.
• Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Associate and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
• Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movements-related systems and databases (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR, and Amadeus), as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial, and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM Code of Conduct and instruction on the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation
and Abuse (PSEA).
• Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert Operations Associate or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualification Required & Experience
• University degree from an accredited educational institution; or
• Completed secondary high school education required.
• Five years of relevant working experience
• Three years of working experience with a bachelor’s degree
• Knowledge of Resettlement and Movement Management or other work related to migration and displaced populations is highly important.
• Movement Operations or refugee/migrant transportation experience is a strong advantage.
• Strong computer skills – Word, Excel, and Internet
• Past experience with Movement Operations-related databases and airline booking systems (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR, and Amadeus) is a strong advantage.
• Fluency in English is required (oral and written).
• Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish.
• The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• VALUES – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
• Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
• Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
• Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
CORE COMPETENCIES – Behavioural indicators – Level 1
• Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action
oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
• Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way
• Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification
of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
• Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country
that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
• In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
• Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Accra, Ghana on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Method Of Application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications directly to:
Specifying the vacancy reference number VN2023-017 and candidate’s full name in the subject line.
Closing Date: 12 November, 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.