Position Title : National Project Officer (Migration, Business and
Duty Station : Bangkok, Thailand
Classification : National Officer (NO-A, THB 136,807.33 per month)
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed Term Contract
Initial 12 months with possibility of extension
Desired Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 15 March 2023
Reference Code : VN017/2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
1. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
IOM Thailand implements a range of national and regional projects aimed at addressing migration challenges and delivering increased protection and assistance to migrant workers and vulnerable migrants in a whole-of-society approach.
IOM’s Labour Mobility and Social Inclusion (LMI) unit supports a regional, national and local multi-stakeholder approach to promoting safe, regular and orderly labour migration that benefits migrants and society and maximizes the positive impact of migration on sustainable development. IOM builds on more than six years at the forefront to supporting the implementation of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights to better protect and respect the rights of migrant workers through its multi-country Migration, Business and Human Rights (MBHR) in Asia portfolio. The portfolio aims to support the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Labour Mobility and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer in Bangkok, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordination, smooth implementation and stakeholder engagement under the IOM’s dynamic national MBHR portfolio of projects.
2. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Provide overall coordination and oversight of the IOM’s national MBHR operations. This will include oversight of project budgets, workplans, national staff and consultants, implementing partners and service providers, and building the team’s capacity in supporting ongoing MBHR work
- Lead on the organization of the activities to be implemented in Thailand as part of the MBHR portfolio. Plan and organize MBHR activities, including factory assessments, trainings on ethical recruitment, decent work and remediation for Thai and international companies, provide technical advisory on corporate policies, processes and procedures deemed necessary during the course of the implementation of the MBHR projects.
- Promote and facilitate national stakeholder engagement to advance the implementation of MBHR activities. This includes liaison with UN, government, civil society and private sector counterparts in the context of joint activities. Participate in policy design and advocacy, in accordance with IOM’s values and advocacy agenda.
- Proactively research, collect and analyze relevant information on the priorities in relation to the labour migration policies and MBHR issues in Thailand. Assist in formulation, analysis and articulation of IOM’s position related to these issues, and advocacy.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of project communication strategies, especially in relation to the policy and advocacy work undertaken by these projects, including preparation and distribution of specific communication materials and monitoring compliance of project partners with the project visibility guidelines.
- Assist in preparation of monitoring and evaluation tools, methods, reports and other efforts, project donor reports, project proposals and budgets and provide administrative coordination to maintain and update project documentation as required.
- Participate in meetings, conferences and other events on labour migration activities, especially in relation to the policy and advocacy.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project implementation, monitoring visits, project assessments, liaison with counterparts, etc.
- Perform such other duties as may be required.
3. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Development Studies, Social Studies, International Relations, Political Science, Statistics, Economics, Business, Public Policy or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- At least two years of relevant professional experience working on business and human rights, labour migration, policy development, is required;
- Experience liaising with the private sector, civil society organizations, governmental and diplomatic authorities and international organizations is required;
- Experience in organizing and delivering capacity building to private sector, civil society and government counterparts is required;
- Experience in managing complex portfolios of projects, fast-changing interventions spanning across diverse thematic fields is a strong asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of key issues and players pertaining to business and human rights, labour migration, policy development, ethical recruitment and human trafficking in Thailand is required;
- Strong project management skills are required;
- Ability to multi-task is required;
- Reporting, liaising with government and private sector counterparts, knowledge of human rights and responsible business is a strong asset;
- Excellent writing, planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly and accurately;
- Ability to work in a multicultural team and with counterparts at different levels;
- Team work oriented but with a capacity to work independently;
- Computer literate.
- Fluency in English and Thai (oral and written) is required.
- Knowledge in Myanmar, Khmer and Lao languages is desirable.
5. DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Delivering results: Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Accountability: Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Communication: Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to the IOM Bangkok Human Resources Unit at e-mail [email protected] byMarch 15, 2023 at the latest.
Kindly indicate the reference code VN017/2023 followed by your full name in the subject line.
Applications should include:
a) a cover letter, indicating the dates of availability;
b) a curriculum vitae;
c) Two writing samples (preferable related to labour migration or business and human rights)
d) a duly completed IOM Personal History Form which can be downloaded from https://thailand.iom.int/sites/g/files/tmzbdl1371/files/Vacancies/Form/iom-personal-history-form-270122.xls.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 01.03.2023 to 15.03.2023