National Payroll Officer
Manila (Global) Administrative Centre (MAC)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Job classification : National Officer
Grade : NO-C
Duty station : Manila (Global) Administrative Centre (MAC)
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Closing date : 19 Apr 2023
Duration of Assignment : One Year with possibility of extension
Salary : Php 2,161,261.00 per annum net of taxes
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief, Manila Human Resources Operations (MHRO) and direct supervision of the Payroll Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for supervising a team for ensuring consistent high quality and timely processing of payroll for nearly 15000+ national staff members of the organization based out of different country offices globally. The tasks include processing of payroll entitlements, payments, and accounting as well as year-end closures along with others. The successful candidate is responsible for ensuring compliance and adherence with IOM HR and financial regulations, rules, and policies.
The successful candidate helps the Payroll Manager to build, lead, manage, motivate, and build the capacity of a dynamic team of specialist staff. The successful candidate’s ability to pragmatically work through solutions and meet deadlines under pressure is paramount.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Leads and manages the team responsible for processing payroll and entitlements for globally based national staff members. That includes planning, coordinating, and implementing measures to ensure payroll is processed in compliance with relevant policies and in accordance with Organization’s payroll calendar.
- Collaborates with international Payroll officer to manage off cycle and advance payments for national staff members globally.
- Develops new procedures and guidelines in payroll. Proposes and implements changes that drive operational efficiencies including any enhancements to current system.
- Develops monitoring mechanisms for assessment of key internal controls in global payroll environment and reports on them.
- Acts as Focal point for resolution of cross -functional matters with MHR, Missions, Finance, Accounts, Projects, and external partners such as UNJSPF, La Mutuelle, UNFCU, etc.
- Assists Payroll Manager for responding to internal/external audit queries and implementation and monitoring of recommendations.
- Identifies risks and communicates with stakeholders and management and proposes alternative options including potential benefits, cost estimates, impact to other business processes.
- Implements, measures performance, evaluates and reports on Service Level Agreements. Ensure prompt resolution of any service problems as they arise. Ensures adequate training to staff in payroll team.
- Leads, contributes to complex and challenging business projects that significantly enhance efficiency, business improvement, continuity, information, and performance of global payroll processes.
- Liaise with Payroll Officer SME and IT focal points to resolve payroll system related issues within ERP application.
- In the absence of Payroll Manager, manages Payroll operations ensuring consistent high-quality services at all times are delivered to the organization in the most cost-effective manner.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in the area of HR and/or finance and accounting with at least 5 years of relevant work experience; or
- First university degree in the above areas and 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Formal specialized training in the area of HR and/or finance and accounting is an advantage.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) an advantage.
- At least 5 years of work experience in the field of HR and/or finance and accounting, preferably in an international environment.
- Experience with integrated Human Resource Management and Payroll computer applications (preferably Oracle).
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Demonstrates individual responsibility for defining and delivering on the Organization’s priorities.
- Delegates authority to match responsibilities, and holds staff accountable for agreed-upon commitments.
- Consistently assumes responsibility for Divisional or Departmental actions by explaining successes, failures, and proposing remedial actions.
- Invests significant time in creating a culture of accountability and responsibility by using experience and advice to guide others.
- Clearly and simply communicates the IOM mandate and seeks opportunities to represent the organization externally to promote its mandate.
- Communicates confidently, commands attention and respect when speaking, and projects credibility.
- Influences others and negotiates effectively through a persuasive, flexible approach.
- Keeps staff informed of decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures understanding and acceptance.
Managing and sharing knowledge
- Promotes the development and use of organization-wide knowledge sharing systems that capture all relevant information from sources inside and outside of the Organization.
- Leads in defining and prioritizing the Organization’s knowledge needs.
- Establishes and fosters a culture that encourages change, innovation and continuous learning.
- Encourages and supports others to be innovative and actively generates new perspectives on own and team’s work.
- Advocates for collaboration across the Organization and creates collaborative systems and integrated processes to achieve Organizational goals.
- Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with colleagues at all levels.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of partnerships and takes action to enhance their effectiveness.
- Identifies and breaks down barriers to cooperation within teams, and between teams, units, sections, divisions, and organizations.
- Challenges self and team to deliver high quality results, in line with Organizational goals.
- Leads and facilitates work planning, alerting those involved of potential obstacles and helping to identify suitable alternative options as needed.
- Persuades management to undertake new projects and services that benefit internal and external clients; uses performance standards to monitor projects.
- Tailors organizational targets to meet changing demands in the external environment.
- Proactively develops strategies to accomplish objectives and empowers others to translate vision into results.
- Provides clear vision, direction and purpose and charts a clear course to achievement.
- Does not accept the status quo; drives for improvement and change, inspiring others to embrace it.
- Builds positive influence across the wider organization and strategic relationships with external stakeholders.
Empowering others & building trust
- Encourages individuals to take initiatives and responsibility for putting new ideas/activities into practice and making them work.
- Supports teams to succeed, devoting dedicated time to empowering people through coaching and mentoring and sharing expertise/knowledge.
- Inspires enthusiasm and a positive attitude in people towards their work and contribution to the Organization’s success.
- Promotes autonomy and empowerment throughout the Organization.
Strategic thinking & vision
- Always works with an orientation to the future, encouraging others to consider the Organization’s medium and long-term strategy when setting departmental objectives.
- Steps back from operational issues to focus on a long-term direction for the area of responsibility.
- Identifies strategic issues and risks that may impede the delivery of the Organization’s strategic objectives and addresses concerns in a timely manner to gain buy-in from stakeholders.
- Generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction inspiring others to pursue that same direction.