Job #: req22484
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Spanish
Closing Date: 5/15/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
THE ROLE OF THE GLOBAL PRACTICE FOR MACROECONOMICS, TRADE and INVESTMENT (MTI) IN THE WBG
The Macroeconomics, Trade and Investment (MTI) Global Practice comprised of some 450 staff, with almost half working in country offices around the world. MTI houses the Bank’s country economists together with trade economists and specialists, debt and macro modeling experts, and fiscal experts. MTI offers integrated solutions to macroeconomic and structural reform programs. In doing so, MTI staff work closely with other GPs. MTI staff help to shape and lead knowledge and learning related activities across a range of thematic areas, including but not limited to: (a) macroeconomics; (b) fiscal policy; (c) growth; (d) economic management in resource rich environments; (e) macroeconomic modelling & statistics; (f) trade and regional integration.
THE LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN REGION (LCR)
The World Bank Group serves 30 client countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (LCR). Clients range from large rapidly growing sophisticated middle-income clients to IDA countries to small Caribbean states to one fragile state. Despite immense resources, dynamic societies, and an average annual per capita income of about US$4,000, deep inequalities persist in most LCR countries, with nearly a quarter of the Region’s people living in poverty. The Bank’s strategy in LCR is focused on three pillars: promoting inclusive growth, investing in human capital, and building resilience. This includes encouraging better governance and economic integration and leveraging the private finance necessary to address the region’s pressing development needs.
The regional context has become even more complex in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, sluggish growth, climate change and high food and energy prices, which severely affect the most vulnerable. Rising interest rates complicate the management of already high public debt levels. The Bank – and MTI in particular – will play an important role in supporting the countries in the region to navigate these challenges. Given the scale of these challenges and momentum, there is a pressing need to scale up integrated technical advice that helps countries combine progress on macroeconomic, fiscal, social and climate objectives. We are seeking an outstanding Lead Economist to work on regional and country-specific macro-economic analytics and country operations in the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (LCR).
Roles & Responsibilities
You will lead a rich and exciting work program supporting the LCR MTI team on the preparation of transformative and innovative DPO and high-profile analytical work and contribute to the regional macro monitoring with a view of providing policy advice across the region. You will play a critical role in coordinate also with internal and external stakeholders. You will also support the LCR MTI PM on some key functions.
In particular, you would: – Provide intellectual and technical leadership on macroeconomic, fiscal, trade policy and growth issues, including related to climate change;
– Lead the development state-of-the-art approaches in applied economic analysis and in pioneering their implementation in operations and analytical work;
– Lead and contribute to a broad range of analytical and operational tasks;
– Actively initiative dialogue and build working-relationships with key government counterparts and development partners to ensure a high impact of analytical work and operations;
– Play a central role in business development;
– Lead the regional macro monitoring team to deliver monthly regional economic updates;
– Coordinate and provide key inputs to the bi-annual Macro-Poverty Outlooks for Latin America and the Caribbean in close collaboration with MTI country economists;
– Support the Practice Manager in maintaining high quality of operations and analytical work and coaching junior staff and provide inputs on corporate briefs and due diligence on macroeconomic issues;
– Facilitate knowledge flow with the broader MTI GP.
– Minimum of a Masters’ degree in Economics with at least 12 years of relevant professional experience (a completed PhD is equivalent to 3 years of relevant professional experience), including a track record of delivery of high quality analytical and advisory services.
– Strong analytical skills in macroeconomic, fiscal, trade policy and growth analysis, including related to climate change. Mastery of modern macroeconomic modelling techniques is a plus;
– Proven track record in delivering high quality and technically sophisticated analytical work and high-impact DPOs;
-Sound knowledge of WBG lending tools and procedures;
– Integrative capacity including the ability to situate sectoral issues within a broader development framework;
– Strong oral and written communication skills, in both English and Spanish, including the ability to present complex analyses to non-specialist audiences; – Strong client-orientation and diplomatic skills combined with candor and courage of opinion;
– Strong client-orientation and diplomatic skills combined with candor and courage of opinion; – Proven sense of initiative, results orientation, and teamwork qualities, and ability to work effectively across sectors/GPs;
– Entrepreneurial capabilities that can be deployed in identifying and securing new business opportunities;
– Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments and adjust to a variety of complex evolving tasks to meet deadlines;
– High energy and demonstrated interest in achieving impact through analytical work and technical assistance for demanding and sophisticated clients.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.