Position Title: Administrative Assistant (50%)
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment: Special short-term ungraded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 01 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
The Media and Communications Unit (MCU) of IOM is comprised of experienced communications professionals based in Geneva and Manila.
The team provides advice and support on media and public information issues to IOM Headquarters and missions worldwide. It is responsible for global media relations as well as producing a wide variety of on- and off-line public information materials, manages IOM’s web presence, institutional branding and global social media, digital tools and oversees initiatives including the Global Migration Media Academy and the It Takes A Community campaign.
Under the direct supervision of the Secretary / Administrative Assistant of the Media & Communications Unit, the Administrative Assistant will provide support on all financial matters of the unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the Secretary / Administrative Assistant in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities in the unit including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability.
- Undertake preliminary financial analysis of programmes / projects / campaigns implemented in the unit.
- Assist the Secretary / Administrative Assistant in reviewing monthly accounting closure records and returns for accuracy, ensure that these are submitted on a timely manner and completed according to IOM’s Accounting Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure that salaries are correctly allocated to the respective programmes / projects consistently with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Assist the Secretary / Administrative Assistant in taking care of all documents needed for all purchases (creation of PR, BID’s analysis, vendor creation, payment requests, service agreements, etc.)
- Assist the CRM project manager in creating and get endorsed all new projects in PRIMA.
- Provide support to the Programme / Project Managers throughout the programme/project cycle to enable compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor specific requirements
- Coordinate and prepare the project financial reports in accordance with IOM and donor regulations, requirements and established procedures.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant experience; or
- Completed High school / Secondary school education with four years of relevant experience.
- Experience in accounting, financial management and reporting;
- Experience in preparing clear and concise financial and management reports; and,
- Experience working in and with international institutions.
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent level of computer literacy;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a diverse environment;
- Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written);
- Proven ability to produce accurate, precise, high-quality work and meet deadlines; and,
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of other official IOM language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Work percentage is 50%.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internal candidates of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only qualified Swiss nationals or candidates residing in Switzerland or neighbouring France will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 01 February 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 19.01.2023 to 01.02.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2023 01 (GS) Administrative Assistant (50%) (UG) Geneva, Switzerland (57932851) Released
Posting: Posting NC57932852 (57932852) Released