With a population of over 150 million people, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa. Political unrest, poor governance and corruption have led to decades of water shortages, while the population has increased rapidly. Though there is surface and ground water, rapid population growth, particularly in urban areas, has not been supported with additional resources. Only 11% of people have access to safe sanitation and 42% live without access to clean water. Funding for water, sanitation and hygiene is low and there is little coordination within the government. The poorest and most marginalised people live in unofficial slum settlements using expensive private services. – See more at: http://www.wateraid.org/ng/where-we-work#sthash.qlZ9kVLO.dpuf
Information Technology Officer
Place of work: Abuja, Nigeria
Duration: 2 years (renewable)
Reports to: Head of Finance and Information Technology
Travel: At least 15% travel to support WaterAid state offices staff and Partners
Ways of Working
The ideal candidate will need to be inclusive and embrace our values of Respect, Accountability, Courage, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation.
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes. WaterAid has continued to advocate for the primacy of achieving WASH goals as central to delivering the SDG targets.
The Finance & IT Department provides leadership and support for financial management and information technology solutions across WaterAid Nigeria.
- Reporting to the Head of Finance & IT, the Information Technology Officer will provide effective management of CP IT Infrastructure and Systems for optimal delivery. The incumbent will proactively implement CP disaster and business continuity plan in order to mitigate all inherent IT risks.
- The role leads the implementation of global IT initiatives and policies at the CP level, ensuring safeguarding of IT inventory and digital files of WaterAid-Nigeria.
- The post holder will Improve program and finance processes by developing fit for purpose tools for project delivery and reporting.
- The role is accountable for the day-to-day management of WaterAid´s IT related activities. The role supports the Head of Finance and Information Technology to implement effective and efficient IT controls and data protection in line with WA global IT directorate objectives
IT Technical Support
- The Information Technology Officer is responsible for setting up, maintaining, and providing technical support to the Country Programme
- Manage all IT support services and ensure that an adequate level of support is being provided to the organization and users.
- Implement and manage key systems and services that provide the required ICT environment for WaterAid Nigeria staff optimal performance.
- Lead on the roll-out and implementation of new global systems in the Country Programme.
- In charge of the administration of WaterAid’s operating system, software licenses, and IT assets.
- Maintain and regularly update thorough documentation relating to the network configuration and its administration.
- Provide storage support for backup and archiving of critical data, sharing of common data, and active devices.
System and Procedures
- Act as the primary point of contact for hardware problems, maintenance, and repairs.
- Identifying training and support needs for users and developing and/or sourcing the training required to encourage WaterAid staff knowledge, understanding, and utilization of IT hardware and software deployed at WaterAid.
- Monitor and ensure that IT policies, such as the Internet, email, and anti-virus policies are adhered to for all desktop users.
- Ensure policies are implemented and functioning properly and corrective action is taken if any violations are identified.
- Lead on IT/data disaster recovery planning and maintain strategies related to technical service provision and recovery.
Learning and Development
- Stay abreast with new developments and advancements in information communication technology (ICT) and make recommendation to the Head of Finance and IT on improvements to current systems.
- Facilitate Staff raining and capacity building in the use of new innovations and ICT tools.
- Inform users of any anticipated downtimes in a timely manner and ensure that alternatives are available to users for email communication.
- Prepare monthly reports to the line manager on IT-related activities.
- Manage and update inventory of IT. Submit monthly inventory record to the Head of Finance and IT.
- Conduct Quarterly and Year end Stock taking in collaboration with the Finance Manager with physical count valuation reconciled to Financial reports of tangible and miscellaneous assets.
- Send regular feedback to Head of Finance and IT on IT issues, WaterAid global initiatives and steps being taken to address identified challenges.
- Plan Level 3 IT Budget / monitor budget implementation, and report on the ICT budget monthly to ensure cost-effectiveness.
- Provide troubleshooting solutions.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline.
- At least four years working experience supporting and troubleshooting Windows PCs, servers, printers, and networks or similar work environment.
- Microsoft or networking certifications on the above platforms.
- Advanced Knowledge of MS Excel with the ability to strengthen Country Program (CP) processes and controls and support regular update / design of new CP working tools in line with defined business processes.
- High attention to detail and accuracy in information processing, including compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, and financial modelling.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of anti-virus software and how viruses propagate and infect Systems.
- Good knowledge of peer-to-peer e.g. in workgroup consisting of Microsoft Windows, server-based networking e.g. based on the domain model of Microsoft Windows and Active Directory,
- Good knowledge of equipment for organizing, protecting, and troubleshooting LAN and WAN hardware.
- Awareness of technologies for securely interfacing private corporate networks with unsecured public ones, such as firewalls, proxy servers, and packet-filtering routers.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate information and ideas clearly to others.
- Show commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- Excellent customer service skills and a helpful and supportive attitude to work.
- Local IT market awareness desire
- A proactive approach, willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges, and actively work towards improvements and resolutions
- Team player and good interpersonal skills, able to support, challenge and influence effectively to maintain good relationships and quality service delivery.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to WaterAid on forms.gle to apply