Head of Delivery Support – LIFE-AR
Hybrid (within or outside of the UK) with periodic travel to the UK offices
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is a policy and action research organisation promoting sustainable development and linking local priorities to global challenges. We are based in London and work across five continents with some of the world’s most vulnerable people to strengthen their voices in the decision-making arenas that affect them. With more than 150 members of staff working with associates and partners around the world, IIED has been at the forefront of evidence-based policymaking in sustainable development for over 50 years.
The Initiative for Effective Adaption and Resilience (LIFE-AR) is an LDC (Less Developed Countries) led and owned initiative with the objective of developing long-term climate adaptation delivery mechanisms that enable investment behind local priorities, strengthening national institutions, domestic systems and capabilities, and influencing the climate finance architecture to improve LDCs ability to access climate finance for transformational adaptation. IIED is currently acting as the ‘interim’ Secretariat for LIFE-AR.
We are now looking for a Head of Delivery Support to join us on a full-time basis for a fixed-term contract of two years. It is envisaged this role would move to a new LDC-owned legal entity once it is established for LIFE-AR.
- Salary of £62,202 – £77,403, depending on experience, plus benefits
- 25 days’ annual leave per year, increasing with service
- Closure between Christmas and New Year with additional paid holiday
- 7.5% employer’s pension contributions
- An employee protection scheme offering a flexible menu of benefits
- Flexible working options
- Support for learning and development
If you are a leader, accomplished in managing complex programmes across multiple countries and partners, and experienced in climate adaptation and resilience and driving strategic development, this is the perfect opportunity to join a dynamic, geographically diverse team of people.
You’ll have the chance to make a real difference to Least Developed Countries, making a global impact and enabling far-reaching effects for those most vulnerable to climate change.
As Head of Delivery Support, you will join the senior management of the LIFE-AR Secretariat, contributing to its strategy in providing politically astute, sound technical advice and support to strengthen LIFE-AR countries’ capabilities, institutions and systems on delivery mechanisms, finance, MEL, Gender and Social Inclusion and communications.
You will provide strategic and technical support to the countries who are implementing LIFE-AR in the LDCs and to the Secretariat staff assigned to each country.
Supporting LDCs to implement LIFE-AR in line with its principles, you will work with LIFE-AR countries to analyse and manage technical, political and partnership challenges to find innovative solutions.
You will ensure quality technical assistance is provided by the LIFE-AR Secretariat to LDCs throughout their implementation of LIFE-AR, supporting the reflection and learning from the initiative.
Additionally, you will:
- Lead in identifying and/or review of guidance notes, technical materials and processes
- Ensure learning on implementing Business un-usual in LDCs is shared and acted upon
- Ensure radical transparency approaches that enable upward and downward accountability on LIFE-AR investment, impact and learning in LIFE-AR countries are developed and their implementation is supported
- Contribute to ensuring LIFE-AR reporting, MEL and risk management processes at national level are effective in tracking and communicating the impact and progress of the initiative
To be considered as Head of Delivery Support, you will need:
- Experience of providing strategic leadership of climate change adaptation programme delivery across multiple countries and regions in LDCs
- Experience of participatory action-research in the governance of climate adaptation and resilience
- Experience of supporting learning mechanisms
- Experience of collaborative, inclusive and transparent governance models and decision-making processes
- Experience of relationship and network-building
- Experience of approaches to build capabilities in LDC institutions and leadership
- Experience of promoting decolonial practice and diversity, equity and social inclusion
- An advanced degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant discipline or equivalent experience
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) and good working knowledge of French (verbal and written)
- The ability and willingness to travel to LIFE-AR countries as necessary (estimated 8 – 12 weeks a year)
IIED is a hybrid working organisation and you are likely to be working from home most of the time. As such, you will need a suitable place to work and a reliable, fast internet connection.
Please note, this role is also open to those who live outside the UK, as long as you have the right to work in the country you wish to reside in.
The salary range advertised in GBP is applicable in the UK only, and the salary offer in another country would depend on the local terms and conditions. We only use the UK salary structure to determine starting salaries, but it will not apply to salaries outside the UK thereafter.
The closing date for this role is the 11th February 2024.
Interviews are scheduled to take place w/c 19th and 26th February 2024.
Other organisations may call this role Head of Initiative Delivery, Head of Initiatives, Initiative Delivery Manager, Initiative Delivery Lead, or Principal Researcher.
Webrecruit and Institute for Environment and Development are equal opportunities employers, we value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you want to join our outstanding organisation as Head of Delivery Support, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.