Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To manage the effective and efficient use of resources to achieve optimum plant utilization, throughput, recovery, and gold production targets in a safe and cost-effective manner.
In This Role You Will
Process Operations Management:
- Develop and implement plans to achieve key Processing Production KPI’s, using resources effectively and efficiently.
- Oversee operations in all process areas (i.e., Crushing, Grinding, CIL, Elution, CCD, WSF and TSF).
- Oversee the implementation of necessary corrective actions to minimize operating variations.
- Collaborate with the metallurgical team and laboratory to ensure the optimum metallurgical performance of the process plant.
- Champion continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the process plant operation.
- Develop process operations STPs, management plans, operating procedures, and guidelines.
- Manage and execute small to mid-size projects in the process area, by following the change management procedure.
- Support Process Business Readiness and establish the Process operations crew prior to startup.
- Manage the setup of operations systems and procedures.
- Support plant construction to ensure key plant operational features are available and operable.
- Asist EPCM with equipment installation and testing during construction and commissioning.
- Plant construction walk-down, inspections and punch-listing.
Process Operations Foreman Supervision
- Supervise Shift Supervisors responsible for the operation of the process plant and associated facilities.
Health, Safety And Environment
- Ensure compliance of the Shift Supervisors and team to all Health and Safety, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Oversee that all regulatory requirements are strictly adhered to by the Shift Supervisors.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to the positions’ supervision.
- Supervise allocated staff member(s) by:
- providing oversight and corrective action to the supervisory work done by the Shift Supervisors.
- developing and training Shift Supervisors.
- providing on-the-job training, mentoring, and coaching.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Extractive Metallurgy or equivalent.
- Advanced knowledge of mineral processing principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process.
- Minimum of 8 – 10 years’ experience in metalliferous mining, with a minimum of 6 – 8 years in gold processing.
- Minimum of 5 – 6 years’ experience managing large and diverse teams.
- Previous process operating experience, particularly crushing, SAG and Ball Milling, Leach / CIL / CIP, Elution and Electrowinning.
- Tailing Storage Facility management experience is preferable.
- Advanced analytical and critical thinking skills
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and people skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (World, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), MS Project.
- Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong change management skills.
- Sound financial administration, analysis, and reporting skills.
- Safety conscious.
- The position is located at our Ahafo North mine site.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described below are representative of requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit for extended periods, climb stairs, walk, and stand. The job requires working at heights.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee is occasionally exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high temperature, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.