Since 1979, we have helped people grappling with the toughest hardships survive – and then thrive. That’s the heart of our approach: We help communities turn crisis into opportunity. Throughout our history, Mercy Corps has demonstrated innovation, timeliness and the ability to adapt quickly to changing realities.
- Experience 2 years
- Location Abuja
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer- Accounting and with close coordination with the program team, the finance officer will assist MCN in adhering to the compliance procedures for financial, procurement, accounting process and ensure adequate internal controls are in place and in compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliations
- Enter Financial transactions in the navigator system for PIs, GJs and JE
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated.
- Facilitate SCULM Weekly reporting, documenting, and archiving
- Provide financial reviews for PR, POs, Service contracts, Tas, EERs etc as per authorized thresholds as per the AAM.
- Prepare monthly payroll based on information provided by HR and from timesheets; prepare payroll accrual entry.
- Maintain benefits accrual documentation and prepare monthly benefits accrual entries.
- Prepare monthly expatriate payroll advance documentation.
- Prepare the WHT schedules for payment processing.
- Ensure preparation and management of Abuja monthly CFP.
- Prepare the allocation journal entries (clearing of pool accounts).
- Assist with month-end balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Ensure all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by the country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Supervisory Responsibility: None.
Reports Directly To: Senior Finance Officer
Works Directly With: Finance Staff, Operations staff and Program Staff
Knowledge and Experience
- Two or more years of accounting or bookkeeping experience, including experience with double-entry accounting
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Mercy Corps on recruiting2.ultipro.com to apply