Posting Title: Data and knowledge Consultant – UNEP Cities Unit
Department/Office: United Nations Environment Programme
Duty Station: PARIS
Posting Period: 23 March 2023 – 06 April 2023
Job Opening Number: 23-United Nations Environment Programme-205143-Consultant
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of Service
- Development and application of a model for the estimation of essential minerals demand at a city level.
- Provision of support for the implementation of UrbanShift activities, including knowledge generation and technical support on UrbanShift’s core topics, such as neighbourhoods, circular economy and nature-based solution, as well as advocacy activities.
Expected duration5.5 months
The Cities Unit is part of UNEP’s Economy Division Energy and Climate Branch. Contributing to the UN system-wide strategy on sustainable urban development and the implementation of the New Urban Agenda, UNEP Cities Unit focusses on the 3-D: decarbonising, decoupling and detoxifying, and investing in nature; and particularly integrated approaches in line with the International Resource Panel Report Weight of Cities. The Cities Unit acts as a hub for UNEP’s work on sustainable urban development. UNEP is the lead agency for the GEF-7 UrbanShift Global Platform, implemented together with three City-Based Organisations (WRI, C40 and ICLEI). The objective of the Global Platform is to provide support and opportunities for learning and peer-to-peer exchange to the cities involved in the 9 country child projects (Argentina, Brazil, China, Costa Rica, India, Indonesia, Morocco, Rwanda, and Sierra Leone). In this context, UNEP Cities Unit is looking for a full-time (level B) consultant to support data & knowledge generation and advocacy on the topics of sustainable neighbourhoods, essential minerals and circular economy in cities. The consultant will deliver on the following activities: 1) Development and application of a model for the estimation of essential minerals demand at a city level.
- Conducting literature review and research related to demand of Essential Minerals related to the Urban Transition.
- Collect and visualize existing data on demand and deposit levels of essential minerals.
- Develop a statistical model for the estimation of demand in areas where data is not available.
- Providing technical support to cities in the tracking and collection of data related to this topic. 2) Support knowledge generation and advocacy for UrbanShift
- Support the generation of knowledge and provision of technical support to city officials on UrbanShift core topics, such as neighbourhoods, circular economy and nature-based solution
- Support the finalization of the UrbanShift City Academy on Green and Thriving Neighbourhoods, in particular reviewing content in Spanish and preparing for the launch of the course
- Support as needed the implementation of the UrbanShift advocacy activities
- A Master’s degree in environmental science, urban planning, economics, or a related field. Professional
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience related to sustainable urban development, climate change, bottom-up climate policy or finance is required.
- Prior experience working within the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization is required.
- Proven experience in developing and applying methodologies and guidelines. Special skills/knowledge
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese an advantage.
No FeeTHE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.