Job Identification : 8638
Locations : Bangkok, Thailand
Posting Date : 02/20/2023, 08:15 PM
Apply Before : 03/07/2023, 04:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NOB
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : SDG Integration
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Fluency in English, and Thai language required
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges.
In Thailand, UNDP partners with the host government, civil society including the business community, the United Nations system, the development partners, and other development actors to help the country achieve sustainable development including the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock.
UNDP Thailand Country Office (CO) is reorganizing internally and moving towards an integrated collaborative business model. Internally, an energetic and innovative team will converge around the planning, design, implementation, and quality assurance of an integrated programme in a fast-paced environment. Fostering strategic partnerships and alliances with different stakeholders will require a team which consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and has a strong client orientation.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Resident Representative, the Communications Analyst implements the corporate communications strategy, designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of the Country Office communications and publication and outreach strategies with a view to influence the development agenda, to promote public and media outreach and to mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
The Communications Analyst supervises and leads the communications staff of the country office and has a strong regular working relationship with the Regional Communications Adviser. The Communications Analyst also works in close collaboration with the other UNDP CO colleagues, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP Communications Group staff (Regional Communications Adviser and HQ), Regional Partnership Advisors, and Government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides leadership and ensures the implementation, planning and design of the internal and external Communications and outreach strategies, geared towards supporting the UNDP Thailand communication for results, partnership-building, and resource mobilization.
- Build the communications team and guide them to position UNDP Thailand as a credible and trusted development partner and thought leader in the country.
- Lead on the strategic direction of communications for the Senior Management and Programme Leads of UNDP Thailand.
- As a member of the UN Communications Group position UNDP as a leader in the relevant joint advocacy initiatives of the UN Country Team.
- Manages the work plan and related budget; and adjust to include unforeseen opportunities as well as changes in programme work plans.
- Plan and elaborate the communications needs assessments.
- Develop and implement the communications and outreach strategy based on UNDP Thailand priorities and in line with the corporate Communication priorities and standards.
- Engage with programme and project staff to ensure constructive and timely advice on the inclusion of communications components in programme and projects formulation to integrate advocacy and communications strategies in all aspects of the CO programme.
- In collaboration with Senior Management, map the partnerships and resource mobilization opportunities and implement a resource mobilization implementation plan with a complementary communication action plan.
- Develop and maintain a photo database that contains images expressive of the issues, actions, and results UNDP is working on in the country.
- Ensure media monitoring; review and record media coverage of UNDP and circulate to relevant authorities.
- Explore innovative formats that make UNDP communication and knowledge products in line with current industry best practice and position the organization at the forefront of audience and donor engagement.
Promotes optimum visibility of UNDP Thailand activities, results, and though leadership through effective media relations, placement, and distribution of information material and creative partnerships with UN agencies, multilateral, and non-governmental organizations, and the private sector.
- Form strategic partnerships with media counterparts at other UN agencies and with external media networks, strengthening internal capacity for media outreach and technical expertise.
- Enhance media/press coverage of UNDP Thailand activities, results, and thought leadership in line with corporate standards and communication strategies.
- Advocate for and promote the UNDP mandate, mission, and purpose, including the SDGs.
- Identify opportunities for and organize press conferences; facilitate interviews with senior managers.
- Draft and disseminate press releases, advisories, background information, press/media kits, and updated information and stories to inform media and the general public of UNDP work programme initiatives, results, and achievements.
- Draft and disseminate regular results-oriented donor newsletters and donor reports.
- Organize communication events and conferences in line with the communications strategy and annual work plan.
Promotes and leads on digital communications, overseeing the content development, expansion, and continual assessment of the quality and relevance of digital communications and services.
- Ensure the website is regularly updated with news, stories, images, blogs etc. in line with the corporate guidelines.
- Develop a digital communications strategy to use social media efficiently and effectively for better outreach.
- Ensure the smooth flow of information internally and externally by producing digital content regularly.
- Draft stories for web and social media.
- Lead the process of engaging with government, donors, mass people through social media.
Manages the writing, development, design, production, and dissemination of diverse products (e.g. publications and news releases) through a variety of media, including print, broadcast, online, and social media.
- Elaborate and implement the communication strategy with publications based on the annual work plan and in line with the corporate publications policy.
- Identify and develop storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key UNDP Thailand issues (including active seeking and verification of inputs).
- Coordinate and manage all UNDP Thailand publication activities, including content management, editing, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee the production and dissemination of communications material and publications.
- Leverage social media to complement the UNDP Thailand communications strategy and plan.
Facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Organize and provide training, consultancy, and advice to UNDP staff on internal and external communications for development.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Business Direction and Strategy – Strategic Thinking
- Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks, and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions. Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP
- Business Direction and Strategy – Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
- Business Management – Communication
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Business Direction and Strategy – Negotiation and Influence
- Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations
- Communications – Media Relations
- Ability to develop media relations across all aspects of media work including relationships with media and preparing media materials such as messages
- Communications – Digital Strategy
- Ability to plan the use of resources through digital channels to reach and engage target audiences effectively and to achieve particular objectives
- Communications – Multimedia production
- Ability to create and combine images, text and audio-visuals to produce multimedia content
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in media relations, communications, journalism, publishing, or any other relevant subject; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in media relations, communications, journalism, publishing, or any other relevant subject with additional two years of relevant experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the Master’s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Master’s degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications, or advocacy;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge, and experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Experience in managing digital communications is required;
- Experience in working with media is required;
- Experience in developing communications strategy is an advantage;
- Experience in leading a team is an advantage;
- Experience in website management is highly desirable;
- Fluency in English, and Thai language required.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.