WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you an experienced in commercial aviation officer with focus in humanitarian air operations or food aid? If yes, this opportunity is for you!
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted by Friday, June 23, 2023 (11:59 PM CET).
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP’s values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: UN World Food Programme (WFP) and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of trainings, accreditation, coaching,mentorship and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across various country, regional and global offices around the world,and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of peopleacross the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
This job is found in N’Djamena, Chad Country Office. The incumbent reports primarily to the Chief Air Transport Officer and secondly to the Country Director. The job holder is likely the Deputy Chief Air Transport Officer and manages the Western part of UNHAS Chad operations. She/he leads N’Djamena hub’s aviation operations with two based-aircrafts (One 50-seater Embraer145 and one 12-seater Grand Caravan 208B), the customer office and liaise with the users through the User Group Committee. She/he supports the Chief Air Transport Officer by providing her/his expertise and focus on a specific areas such as administration, finance, project proposal redaction, aviation safety, cargo transportation or passenger transportation etc.
Plan and coordinate the day-to-day aspects of aviation operations to ensure efficient, cost-effective and reliable access to remote and hard-to-reach communities in need of humanitarian assistance in Chad.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Plan and coordinate all activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UN AVSTADS (Aviation Standards).
- Develop and apply appropriate operational risk management process, including corrective actions, to ensure the safety of WFP staff and partners.
- Negotiate and coordinate logistics and administrative support for aviation services in the area of assignment e.g. continuous fuel supply, food and accommodation services, preparation of contracts and supplier payments.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimise use of available funds.
- Plan, organise and supervise the work of more junior staff to ensure that tasks are accomplished in a manner consistent with organisational requirements.
- Collaborate with internal counterparts and external partners to align aviation activities with wider UN and WFP programmes and activities to ensure a coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
- Review and/or prepare accurate and timely reports to support a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
- Deliver training to WFP staff and partners to promote safe use of aviation services.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community as needed.
- Other as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses. Holds or has held a Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License.
- At least Five years of progressively responsible experience in commercial and / or military aviation with a specific focus in humanitarian air operations would be a plus.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Fluency (level C) in French language.
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Experience liaising with country authorities to facilitate air operations.
- Experience establishing methodologies for risk analysis and problem resolution.
- Experience supervising professional staff and reviewing reports produced by NOA/P1 and NOA/P2 employees for accuracy and compliance with quality standards.
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK
These are the common standards of behaviour that guide HOW we work together to accomplish our mission.
Leads by Example with Integrity
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork
Applies Strategic Thinking
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
Lives the WFP values and shows humanity and integrity by role modelling care for others
Delivers on commitments and adapts readily to change
Is inclusive and collaborative, and contributes to a culture of learning and personal growth
Demonstrates commitment to gather perspectives, analyse options and risks, and propose new ways of doing things
Builds and nurtures external partnerships and collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives
Different expectations of behaviour are defined depending on your grade and role/responsibilities within WFP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This is an International Professional position and candidates must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
- Mobility is and continues to be, a core contractual requirement in WFP. The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in line with ICSC standards (http://icsc.un.org) including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, visa, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan, and medical insurance.
- The selected candidate will be required to relocate to Ndjamena, Chad to take up this assignment.
REMINDERS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, language skills and UN Grade (if applicable)
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please make sure you upload your professional CV in the English language
- Kindly note the only documents you will need to submit at this time are your CV and Cover Letter
- Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time
- Please contact us at [email protected] in case you face any challenges with submitting your application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.