The Excellence Community Education Welfare Scheme (ECEWS) is a leading and reputable indigenous non-for-profit organization that promotes access to qualitative healthcare, education and economic strengthening opportunities for all Nigerians. With its headquarters in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and a corporate office in Abuja, ECEWS has presence in 17 States across the South-South, South East, South West and North Central Nigeria with a strong client portfolio with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Global Fund to fight against AIDS, TB and Malaria, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC), The United Nations office of Projects, World Bank & Federal Government of Nigeria. Since its founding in 2001, ECEWS has built a vast network of health and allied professional staff, partners and collaborators which has earned her a solid reputation among its funders and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Director – Finance
Location: Akwa Ibom
Level of Effort: Full Time
- ECEWS is implementing a project called Accelerating Control for HIV Epidemic Project (ACE) funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Akwa Ibom & Cross River States targeted at achieving epidemic control thereby reducing transmission and improving the quality of life of those living with HIV.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is a funded project aimed at Delivering Comprehensive and Sustainable HIV/AIDS Clinical and Community Services to achieve HIV epidemic control in sub-National units of Delta, Osun and Ekiti States in Nigeria under PEPFAR and is in partnership with John Hopkins Programs for International Education on Gynecology and Obstetrics (Jhpiego) in implementing a four year USAID funded project titled “Momentum Country & Global Leadership (MCGL)” with the goal of addressing major contributors to maternal mortality and morbidity through the prevention and mitigation of the consequences of violence against women and girls (VAW/G) and possible drivers of child early and forced marriage (CEFM), Intimate Partner violence (IPV), Sexual Violence (SV), early adoption of family planning (FP).
- The position holder will support the Deputy Director of Finance to manage responsibility for both accounting and finance and ensure compliance with the contractual requirements of funders with the objective of providing professional accountancy services consistent with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assist the Deputy Director of Finance in the supervision of the finance/accounting staff in the HQ and state field offices.
- Assist the Deputy Director of Finance provide support with problem resolution on cash accounts, bank resolutions, accounting software, resolution of audited questioned costs, and financial close outs.
- Provide support with the accounting workflow in the review and audit of ECEWS and sub-recipient reports for reimbursement of expenditures.
- Analyse, develop and monitor accounting/fiscal control procedures and program budgets including monitoring cash flows and requesting for fund transfers from HQ.
- Prepare financial reports for to monitor and track obligations and expenditures.
- Provide training and backstopping on the accounting software.
- Provide technical assistance on accounting and financial matters. Identify areas needing improvement and provide necessary staff development and training.
- Assist Program staff in monitoring sub-project budgets in accordance with approved work plan activities.
- Prepare written and verbal responses to inquiries and requests for budgetary information.
- In collaboration with the Associate Director of Finance Director of Finance, prepare monthly and annual financial reports, including financial status of sub-projects account activities, with accompanying backup documentation and receipt.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
Minimum Recruitment Standard
- B.Sc / BA in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field and a minimum of 9 years relevant experience with at least 5 years in international development programs.
- MS/MA in Business Administration, Social Sciences or related field and a minimum of 7 years relevant experience with at least 5 years in international development programs.
- Possession of CPA, ACA, ICAN, or recognized equivalent is required.
- Proven ability in the management of large, multifaceted programs
- Proven ability to present financial information to a non-financial audience
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors and recipients of assistance
- Proven ability in building capacity of organizations in financial management
- Ability to represent ECEWS to donors, government officials and the NGO community in financial matters
- Proven ability in supervising staff
- Well-developed computer spread sheet skills
- Familiarity with multiple program (i.e. donor) regulations on financial reporting
- Ability to execute detail-oriented work rapidly and with a high level of accuracy.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, including presentation and training skills.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of relevant accounting software packages
- Ability to travel in within Nigeria 25% of the time.
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Resume and a one-page Cover Letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to the “Human Resources Unit” through: [email protected] using Your Full Name, Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
- Eligible female applicants are encouraged to apply. ECEWS has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
- ECEWS does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.