Description of assignment title: Communication and Outreach Associate
Assignment country: Türkiye
Expected start date: 03/20/2023
Sustainable Development Goal: 17. Partnerships for the goals
Volunteer category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
DoA reserved for persons with disabilities: No
Host entity: UNV
Duration: 10 months (with possibility of extension)
Number of assignments: 1
Duty stations: Istanbul
Mission and objectives
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism.
The UNV Regional Office for Europe and CIS provides oversight and strategic guidance to the UNV Field Units in the region and is accountable for the placement of UN Volunteers mobilized for UN Agencies, Funds, and Programmes focused on peace, development and humanitarian needs in the countries of region. The UNV Regional Office represents and strategically positions UNV and bring UNV’s services and solutions closer to its partners from governments, UN entities, civil society, and private sector. UNV’s services and solutions in Europe and CIS are covered on unv.org website and social media platforms. To increase awareness of these initiatives among key audiences and to enhance cooperation with the UN and external partners in the region is one of the main priorities of the UNV Regional Office for Europe and CIS, related to diversification of informational content, design of visual materials and speed of news flows. The role of Communications Team focuses on clear and effective messaging to increase the visibility and impact of UNV. It raises awareness on the work of UN Volunteers and of volunteerism and its contribution to development among UNV stakeholders, encourages support of volunteerism for development, including observation of International Volunteer Day, and produces and promotes materials (social media content, graphics, videos, website, annual report, etc.) to highlight UNV’s work, its contribution to partners’ objectives and support for volunteerism for development. In order to increase and sustain UNV’s social media and online presence through more innovative content, additional support is needed.
Under the general guidance of UNV Regional Manager, the supervision of the Communications Analyst and Operations Analyst (Talent Acquisition), and in close cooperation with the portfolio team (onsite and online volunteering) UN Volunteer will: 1- Design of Visibility Materials and Management of social media (50%)
- Support outreach initiatives to raise visibility and media interest in the work of UNV and the contributions made by UN Volunteers; Assist the UNV Communication Analyst, Operations Analyst (Talent Acquisition) and Portfolio Team with designing and producing creative audio-visual content including photography, videos, promotional items (quote cards & graphics), communications formats (templates and presentation slides), social media daily stories, etc.) to reflect the UNV RO deliveries and impact of volunteerism.
- Raise awareness of UNV’s activities and objectives for different target groups.
- Develop daily content and manage for social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Insta-gram, LinkedIn, YouTube etc);
- Monitor and assess social media metrics, insights and best practices to help UNV toll improve the reach and engagement with the key audiences.
- Increase the audiences from the countries of region and key partner organizations as a part of regional priorities and deliveries.
- Maintain regional office communication and outreach brand tools such as Trello board, canvas etc for content-based updates, templates and files of design. 2 – Support to Outreach for Talent Acquisition (50%)
- Support outreach initiatives and advocacy efforts to raise awareness of UNV and volunteerism to attract talents.
- Assist the Operations Analyst (Talent Acquisition) with the close coordination of Portfolio Team in outreach activities and strategies with targeted content creation and the identification of relevant channels to source volunteers and disseminate high priority profiles in assigned countries.
- Assist in organizing on-site and online talent acquisition events, fairs, awareness campaigns.
- Assist in the regular monitoring and reporting of talent acquisition key success indicators on increased and diversified local talent pools in the countries of region.
- Support in outreach activities and creation of design materials for outreach campaigns and branding.
- Create attractive outreach materials for the employer branding and a positive candidate and volunteering experience to attract the targeted local talents from the countries of region;
- Provide expertise and support to the regional team to find the interested profiles for the open calls and knowledge sharing for the best practices.
- Manage the media contents for the talent acquisition strategy and targets with key volunteerism messages. Perform any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor. Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for in-stance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country.
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publica-tions/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Age: 27 – 80
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in /at the national level in Multimedia, Digital/social media, Marketing/Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Graphic Design, or related outreach fields.
- Proven experience in social media management, content development, graphic design, audio-visual production.
- Experience in design tools such as Adobe Suite i.e. Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere or similar tools.
- Experience in web-based management systems. Desirable
- Prior relevant work experience UN system, relevant non-governmental or humanitarian organizations or in volunteerism is an advantage. Desirable
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset Computer skills:
- Proficiency in the use of web content management systems, publishing, photo and video editing tools and other web publishing tools is required.
- Strong digital literacy including designing tools and computer skills in office applications including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Functional Knowledge and Skills:
- Proven experience in daily management of websites, and social media, preferably with a multilateral or international development organization
- Outstanding drafting skills and creative story writing
- Ability to work independently and under tight deadlines
Area(s) of expertise
Communication, Arts and design
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in journalism, mass communications, social media management, public relations and other relevant areas.
Competencies and values
- Ensure the effective use of resources: ability to identify priorities in accordance with the organization’s strategic directions. Develop and implement action plans, organize the necessary resources and monitor outcomes.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences demonstrates ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations. Respects differences and ensures that all can contribute.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts.
- Producing results produces and delivers quality results. Is action oriented and committed to achieving outcomes.
- Communication: expresses oneself clearly in conversation and interaction with others; actively listens. Produces effective written communications. Ensures that information is shared.
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards UNHCR’s mission and vision, as well as to the UN Core Values.
Living conditions and remarks
The UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging her/his own housing and other living essentials. Please see the summary of UN Volunteer entitlements below. For further information, kindly review “UN Volunteers Unified Conditions of Service” document.
- Current Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) in Türkiye is approx 1173 USD (paid in TRY based on the monthly UNORE rate).
- 100% health, life and dismemberment coverage by CIGNA. As per UN’s diplomatic mission status, it is not included in National Security Institution’s (SGK) system but can be initiated on private basis.
- Entitlement to annual Leave at the rate of 2.5 working days per completed month of volunteer assignment
- Entry allowance for covering relocation expenses
- Exit allowance upon completion of service Several learning opportunities Unified Conditions of Service is available on UNV’s website.