The Senior Economist will support the development and implementation of coherent, integrated and effective analytical work, policy support and governance work at regional, subregional and national levels at RAF. He/she will lead specific activities in the Program Area of Work on trade and market opportunities for inclusive growth, focusing on agricultural commodity markets, international and regional trade. The Senior Economist will also contribute to RAF’s activities on strategic thinking and programmatic matters relating to transformation of agrifood systems, strengthening partnerships and knowledge networks within and outside the Organization as well as support country-level actions guided by the Country Programming Frameworks (CPFs).
Leadership and conceptual thinking for the development and implementation of comprehensive technical, statistical and/or analytical frameworks to support the programme of work and related products, projects and services by the FAO Strategic Framework.
- Manages or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, and provides technical leadership in high-level policy analysis missions or projects, policy networks and/or international policy-setting bodies.
- Leads the work carried out by technical or policy officers in the Regional Office in collaboration with colleagues from Subregional offices and headquarters about policy and governance work under FAO’s Strategic Framework.
- Advocates strategic partnerships, best practices and policy dialogue in support of enhanced policies and governance for food security and nutrition, sustainable agriculture and food systems.
- Interacts with UN Regional and Country Teams to improve cross-sectoral policies and strategies concerning agriculture, food security, nutrition and sustainable development.
- Engages with development partners, including international financial institutions, to advocate and strengthen the linkages between knowledge and policy work with investments in food security and nutrition, sustainable agriculture and food systems.
- Analyses regional and country-level issues to provide input into the identification of country and regional priorities and requirements.
- Designs, implements and monitors regional and subregional policy work programmes and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies.
- Plans, organizes and participates in capacity development activities involving the provision of technical advice and assistance, and oversees the development of related materials, online tools and information kits.
- Represents the Organization at international/inter-governmental meetings and conferences.
- Leads and contributes to the preparation of studies, reports, briefs, statements and other knowledge products on agricultural trade, commodity markets, transformation of agrifood systems and related policy matters.
- Contributes to assessment of the impact of crises on food security to inform decision-making.
- Contributes to strategic thinking, planning and programmatic matters related to trade, investments and market opportunities for inclusive growth.
- Coordinates FAO’s work in the Africa region with headquarters teams and units working on agricultural commodity markets and international and regional trade.
- Provides advice to Members and technical support to FAO Subregional and Country Offices in the region, in the development and implementation of programmes in agricultural trade and investment.
- Promotes and coordinates collaborative activities and workflows with other Programme Areas of Work in RAF, and maintains close work relations with headquarters Divisions, units and other Decentralized Offices.
- Develops, coordinates and implements partnerships with external partners to reinforce the work programme and deliverables of FAO in the Africa region.
- Identifies emerging areas of work for FAO in the Africa region and develops or oversees the development of concept notes, proposals and work plans.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in economics, agricultural economics or a related field.
- Ten years of relevant experience in quantitative economic analysis of agricultural markets, trade and policies.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering Others
- Partnering and Advocating
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strategic Thinking
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
- Understanding of complex strategy and policy processes.
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in the analysis of commodity markets and trade and related policies.
- Extent and relevance and extent of experience in policy analysis and advise relating to food security and nutrition , sustainable agriculture and rural development.
- Ability to undertake quantitative economic analysis of production, consumption, stocks trade and prices of agricultural commodities and to prepare analytical studies and reports.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multidisciplinary team