- Organization: BC – British Council
- Location: Accra
- Grade: Senior level – Senior
- Occupational Groups:
- Education, Learning and Training
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-10-18
To provide technical sector expertise to the regional English Programmes portfolio and support business development and quality, compliant delivery of programmes and contracts to improve standards of the teaching, learning and assessment of English in SSA.
Main accountabilities but not limited to the following:
- Support clusters and countries across SSA to plan and develop English Programmes in line with regional and global English Programmes strategies.
- Contribute to the development of projects under the frameworks of all five global English Programmes.
- Promote a Teaching for Success approach in CPD for schools to countries, clients and partners.
- Ensure mainstreaming of EDI within English and Education programme development in line with the regional EDI strategy.
- Proposal Management
- Support the technical writing of English Programmes FCR and GPF bids/proposals.
- Ensure proposal coordination throughout the entire process, including sourcing resources required as appropriate – technical consultants, sector experts etc.
- Ensure appropriate British Council standards for proposal documents – design, and data protection.
- Work with E&S Business Development Manager, Commercial Manager, and Finance Team to ensure proposals are costed and priced appropriately.
- Ensure timely reporting and communication on donor contracts and internal monthly reporting within SSA.
- Advise and, when necessary, support project managers on donor guidelines, policies and procedures and contractual obligations, particularly on reporting, procurement, matching funds, spending rate and visibility requirements to ensure compliance.
- Prepare local grant guidelines for the activities with partners (to be checked by Cultural Engagement (CE) Contract Management).
- Review grant agreements with partners to ensure that all donors’ rules and regulations are properly passed on to the partners, in conjunction with CE Contract Management.
- Review the status and prepare where appropriate, follow-up proposals, and timely documentation for no-cost extension or closing projects in accordance with donor’s guidelines, in conjunction with CE Contract Management.
Networks and Partnership Development
- Develop and maintain an active English sector network to augment and raise awareness of the British Council’s / UK’s expertise and engagement in English.
- Undertake a proactive role in identifying, developing links with and maintaining a network of strategic partners in the UK and SSA for project collaboration.
- Contribute to sector conferences, professional forums, and external workshops which increase the British Council profile.
- Build relationships with partners, stakeholders and clients in the English portfolio.
- Develop and maintain an active internal regional and global network of English Programmes colleagues for knowledge sharing, communications and developments within English Programmes.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI)
- To actively contribute to an inclusive and anti-racist organisational culture, being aware of your own biases, and taking action to mitigate against these. Ensuring people feel valued and are treated equitably, with support for people’s well-being and mental health.
- Understand the British Council’s approach to equality, diversity and inclusion and how it applies to your role, and make time for learning and development relating to EDI and anti-racism.
Role-specific knowledge and experience:
- Qualified to postgraduate degree level in ELT or other relevant qualification, or equivalent by experience
- Experience in middle management / English or education sector roles
- Experience in delivering donor-funded projects or programmes
- Familiarity with client policies and procedures
- Experience in engaging with and management of diverse stakeholders including multilateral agencies, donors, government officials, academics in SSA and the UK
- Experience working within a consortium arrangement or with other funding partners or sponsors and management of associated contracts.
- Extensive experience in managing complex, senior, client, stakeholder and partner relationships and reporting requirements.
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa is highly desirable
- Pay Band – 8
- Contract Duration – Three (3) Year Fixed Term Contract
- Location – Flexible location in SSA offices
- Contract Type: This role is being offered as locally engaged and Long Term Strategic International Assignment (LTSIA) for Ghana
- Locally Engaged – Candidates for this role must have a natural right to work in this location and would normally already be based in the location. Applications are welcomed from candidates currently based in other British Council country/territory offices. However, please note candidates must have a natural right to work in the country/territory, on a permanent basis, as immigration clearance and/or on-going visa support is not provided by the British Council for this role. Relocation support is also not provided. If you are an international assignee currently working in this location under a British Council sponsored visa, this does not provide a natural right to work.
- LTSIA – This role will be offered on long-term strategic international assignment terms which includes visa and transfer support and benefits such as assignment allowances, housing and utilities, and schooling. Please note Visa approvals are beyond the British Council’s control so any job offer will be subject to securing the required right to work. The full International Assignment package is offered at the discretion of the British Council and may not be available to candidates who are currently already based in another location but have significant connections to the host location. Applications for locally hired candidates are welcome but if successful will not qualify for the international assignment package and will continue on local terms and conditions of service.
- Candidates applying from outside British Council’s operating countries in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) will be hired under LTSIA terms. Candidates hired under LTSIA terms will be based in Ghana. Relocation support will be provided in this case.
- Candidates applying from an operating British Council (SSA) office will be hired under Locally Engaged terms. Please note that there will be no relocation support provided for candidates hired under Locally Engaged terms.
- Language requirements: Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Closing Date – 18 October 2023. Applications will close at 23:59 East Africa Time
- Application Link: https://careers.britishcouncil.org/job-invite/38217/
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.