- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To plan, supervise and coordinate Process Plant electrical maintenance activities in a safe and cost-effective manner, to enable the full optimisation of plant electrical and realisation of production plans.
- To lead and support electrical supervisors and technicians and support the career development for electrical apprentices to enable competency levels and availability goals to be achieved.
In This Role You Will
Electrical Maintenance Execution
- Develop and implement maintenance strategies based in Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) techniques, budgets and plans to ensure maximum equipment’s availability at optimum cost.
- Conduct troubleshooting of all the electrical systems including communication’s equipment installed.
- Collaborate with the stores / procurement department to ensure that all the necessary maintenance parts and supplies are available to maintain the process plant and associated facilities.
- Oversee the development and review of the maintenance standard task procedures (STPs).
- Provide input into failure analysis studies and recommend alternative strategies for maintenance.
- Collect and analyse data to propose changes in Process Maintenance procedures and/or electrical designs.
- Review and approve all electrical drawings and make recommendations and modifications, based on technical standards and procedures.
- Provide control systems engineering and programming services.
- Review and make recommendations to the Superintendent and other management on areas of improvement.
Electrical Maintenance Management
- Organise, distribute, coordinate and oversee all electrical and instrumentation maintenance work in all process areas equipped with electrical devices (i.e. Crushing, Grinding, CIL, Elution, CCD, WSF and TSF, Powerhouse, Fire Systems).
- Provide hands-on assistance during E&I maintenance activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Perform electrical activities such as installation and maintenance, in conjunction with the team.
- Ensure that shift handover meetings are conducted.
- Manage and coordinate daily corrective actions.
- Provide technical support when major work is to be carried on any of the plant equipment to ensure safe work practices are followed.
Health and Safety Management
- Manage adherence of electrical maintenance to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
- Oversee and manage site-wide electrical compliance through the delivery of statutory inspections and reports.
- Assure that applicable health and safety regulations and compliance programs are implemented.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
Work Scheduling and Allocation
- Supervise the tasks completed by the Supervisors and Technicians and verify that these are performed according to specified plans.
- Provide and coordinate support for the team to execute the plant modification and achieve results in a timely manner.
- Build and develop an electrical maintenance team capable of carrying out needed engineering initiatives.
- Provide effective on-the-job training and coaching to ensure employees gain new skills and achieve their maximum potential.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanical Engineering.
- Sectional Engineering Certification of competency / MINCOM Certification.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance plant equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in Reliability Centered Maintenance programs.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in High Voltage switching programs.
- Strong knowledge in large mills and crushers reline and maintenance.
- Strong knowledge in large slurry and water pump maintenance.
- Strong working knowledge of SAP related programs
- Knowledge of and experience in maintenance practices for large electric motors.
- Advanced knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
- Minimum of 6 – 8 years’ experience as a Fixed Plant Electrical Supervisor maintaining mechanical equipment / machinery in a large gold processing environment.
- Minimum of 4 – 6 years’ experience in a supervisory capacity, managing large and diverse teams.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Ability to interpret electrical engineering drawings.
- Strong planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Strong instrumentation and process control skills.
- Strong people management skills.
- Strong consultation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Decisive and Directing.
- Team Player.
The Physical Demands And Work Environment Characteristics Described Here Are Representatives Of Those That Must Be Met By An Employee To Successfully Perform Essential Functions Of This Job
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.